trolling speed

i agree poppa, the reading i have done would suggest that anadramous fish easily swim with or against the current flow. it also suggests that different species of salmon actively travel at different times of the day and night with some salmon 'drifting' in the darkness. the key issue is whether or not they are feeding/attacking that is still quite a puzzle as fisheries studies still tend toward salmon with empty stomachs. thinking of open ocean fishes in terms of stream/river fishes just does not match what is happenning in the blue.

Totally agree Poppa.

In Baynes Sound there is sometimes a crazy surface tide running one way and the very real tide running entirely in the other direction.

Gimee the gaff!!!

quote:In Baynes Sound there is sometimes a crazy surface tide running one way and the very real tide running entirely in the other direction.

A back eddy?

I used to love sitting in the pool right off beachy head. Almost scraping the rodtips on the rocks.

Salmon are migratory so If they need to get somewhere what makes you think they would wait for the tide to be running aganst the direction they are going? I would say on a flood tide the fish are moving through and can get caught pretty much at any depth, whereas if the tide is running opposite of the direction they need to be going in, that is when they will hunker down on the bottom or sit in a back eddy and wait for the next flood. They are not going to waste energy fighting currents all day.

Take only what you need.

figure out all the theories you want but sitting facing theflood tide is what works in becher and sooke church rock otter pointand sheringham.spend the day out there and watch which boats are getting hits and see which way they are facing. im not familiar with all thehome areas of you guys. you are,like was said different areas things might be differentspeedsor tactics i certainly wouldnt roar around at camel rock or bamfielddoing 8knots

I have always done the best bucking the tide over some structure that creates a "rest stop" for the migratory fish.The key has been dropping the lines down close enough to the structure that the fish can see it-which can be challenging on a big tide.To me,speed against the tide has always been second to location

Hooch

I think if you know an area very well sitting and working a spot while bucking the tide can be productive. However, working an area of water by going with the tide works well too. It depends on the spot, your knowledge, the tide, time of year and type of salmon you are targeting. I have my spots I target hard and have areas that I troll with the tide and pick up fish either way.

Used to bucktail for coho over the sandbar out of sandspit. There the tide is rippen fast. The water is only 3 or 4 ft deep in places and you can see the fish well. The majority of the fish are facing the current but the fiesty ones are swimen bach and forth and down. We would sit facing the current barely moving just a little back and forth side to side movement to get the fish interested. On the back slide you put your hook wright in the face of the fish that have already been checking it out & (wam). It's a constant fish on. Damm I miss them day's.:(

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Back