Trim Tabs??

rmj002

I have 18 ft Trophy with 120 hp plus kicker.
With a full load of fuel, Riggers and gear I am seem to be really stern heavy. I can get up on step and cruise fairly level by trimming the moter. But in rollers the nose seems to be high and I land on the backside hard more then I think I should. Would trim tabs help keeep the nose down. What about those stablizer fins you see on the lower legs??? any suggestions please.MJ

i have heard really good things about smart tabs...
self adjusting, helps get boat on a plane quicker and keep it
there longer.

they are available on line from many boating stores and most
local marine shops would likely have access as well.

Nauticus SX Smart Tabs

* Fits Boat Length 14' - 17' FT and 40-80 HP
* Fits Boat Length 15' - 19' FT and 60-140 HP
* Fits Boat Length 16' - 20' FT and 150-225 HP

I installed Bennett M80's on my 18 & 1/2 foot Double Eagle. Made a big difference to comfortably handling moderate seas. Have 2 batteries in the stern, at 150 hp main engine and a kicker so was stern heavy and fell off a plane around 23-24 mph. I had to be on/off the throttle all the time in anything over 2 ft wind waves in a heading sea to minimize pounding. With M80's my minimal planing speed is now 16-17 mph which has made the boat ride much better. Not to mention correcting for cross winds or extra load in the boat. Best $$ spent on the boat so far. I would have gone for Bennett M120's but not enough room on my transom due to my kicker. I installed them myself and purchased them on-line through a US marine dealer. Ended costing me approx $600. Check out the Bennett website and the HullTruth website (look for a forum managed by a guy called Tabman).

The first thing I did was to balance my boat.I carry 2 batteries which I relocated to the opposite side of the kicker. That 100lb. kicker hanging out there is really 150 lbs. I stow gear and fishing gear forward as well as water, cooler etc. Once this was done I played with my tabs and got an increase in speed of about 3 m.p.h.

I also put the bennett trim tabs on my 185 bouble eagle. Made a huge difference.I think you will find they will solve your problem.

I have a 20.5 trophy and put tabs on it and it was the best investment and in rough water I can hold the bow down

Thanks Group
I have ordered a set of the Bennett Tabs and will mount them when I bring the boat home in Sept. Still have 2 trips planned back to Renfrew in Sept.

Great tips

MJ

Back