Trim tabs for Campion 542

bennet hydrolic, had mine for over ten years now. A lil more dough but worth it. IMHO

Bennett Bolt Electric 12 x 9 with the auto-retract switch. Installed two years ago and am very happy with them.

My son added electric tabs to his 542 (Lenco) I think.Made a huge difference to the ride.

I put the Bennett hydraulic trim tabs on myself on my 2000 542 Campion and they made a huge difference. I had friends with the electric ones and they love them, much easier to install.

Never used them but have herd good things from a local tech. They would be on my latest build if I knew about them 6 months ago.

Crap.. I ended up choosing the bolt electrics from Bennett... As I was going install I realized the tab was going to interfere with the rotation of my kicker when they motor is trimmed fully down.. damnit! I googled trim tabs on Campion 542's and it looks like most people have the same set up and just never trim the kicker all the way down?

Last edited:
Crap.. I ended up choosing the bolt electrics from Bennett... As I was going install I realized the tab was going to interfere with the rotation of my kicker when they motor is trimmed fully down.. damnit! I googled trim tabs on Campion 542's and it looks like most people have the same set up and just never trim the kicker all the way down?
there should be a limit pin or bolt for the kicker that you can adjust so it stops clear of the tab

there should be a limit pin or bolt for the kicker that you can adjust so it stops clear of the tab
There is, if I have it on the furthest setting it clears the trim tab. Is the efficiency of the kicker still good in this position?

There is, if I have it on the furthest setting it clears the trim tab. Is the efficiency of the kicker still good in this position?

Post a pic of the kicker and boat looking from the side. For best efficiency you want the kicker propeller shaft parallel to the surface of the water....lots of guys run their kickers waaaaaayyyyyy down which is not good for efficiency.

I have the same hull as yours and the bolt trim tabs. Never had issues with the kicker hitting the plates. I get best efficiency when kicker is 80-90% down. Going all the way down and then 4-5 clicks up. Adjust based on the tide, current and load/number of people onboard.

upload_2020-6-30_7-34-31.png
upload_2020-6-30_7-35-21.png
upload_2020-6-30_7-35-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-30_7-34-31.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-30_7-34-31.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 22
  • upload_2020-6-30_7-35-21.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-30_7-35-21.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2020-6-30_7-35-52.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-30_7-35-52.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2020-6-30_7-36-1.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-30_7-36-1.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2020-6-30_7-36-1.png
    upload_2020-6-30_7-36-1.png
    728.4 KB · Views: 23
I have the same hull as yours and the bolt trim tabs. Never had issues with the kicker hitting the plates. I get best efficiency when kicker is 80-90% down. Going all the way down and then 4-5 clicks up. Adjust based on the tide, current and load/number of people onboard.

View attachment 54313
View attachment 54316
View attachment 54318
Post a pic of the kicker and boat looking from the side. For best efficiency you want the kicker propeller shaft parallel to the surface of the water....lots of guys run their kickers waaaaaayyyyyy down which is not good for efficiency.

Thanks guys. Ill post a pic when I get home this afternoon. Looking at your pics.. I think your kicker is mounted a little closer to the main then mine, mine is further out to the left which encroaches on the tab.

What width of tab did you get? When I had my 542, I had the 9" tabs (like others above) installed and there were no issues with clearance of the kicker.
The 9" tabs were certainly sufficient from a performance standpoint.

Back