Trim Tab Fluid ?

• Thread starter Thread starter saltybeaver
  • Start date Start date
S

saltybeaver

Do I have to buy some exspensive fluid like everythign else I'm told to put in or is there somthing I can pick up at a local auto supply ??

My Bennetts have used ATF for a long time. And another hint, instead of trying to fill through that sorry excuse for a fill screw they give you, you just raise the tabs all the way up, pop a line off one of the rams, stick it in the bottle, and keep trimming "up" and the motor will suck the fuid out of the bottle into the pump for you.

My Bennetts have used ATF for a long time. And another hint, instead of trying to fill through that sorry excuse for a fill screw they give you, you just raise the tabs all the way up, pop a line off one of the rams, stick it in the bottle, and keep trimming "up" and the motor will suck the fuid out of the bottle into the pump for you.

yes I use atf as well.

after all the time I screwed around trying to fill though the small hole i never thought of that! thanx L.C.

yes I use atf as well.

after all the time I screwed around trying to fill though the small hole i never thought of that! thanx L.C.

Bennett trim tabs has a good website that answers a lot of questions.
I did a repair on my trim tabs this year (had a crack in one of the hydraulic lines). To add ATF fluid to the resevoir I had a large syringe that I picked up at Industrial Plastics (from a different repair project). I poured a small amount of tranny fluid into a small container, (sour cream)sucked that up into the syringe then pumped it into the filler hole. No muss, no fuss.

Bennett trim tabs has a good website that answers a lot of questions.
I did a repair on my trim tabs this year (had a crack in one of the hydraulic lines). To add ATF fluid to the resevoir I had a large syringe that I picked up at Industrial Plastics (from a different repair project). I poured a small amount of tranny fluid into a small container, (sour cream)sucked that up into the syringe then pumped it into the filler hole. No muss, no fuss.

hey guys, what size boat do you have and how much advantage do you find with them? I have thought maybe, but was not sure how well they will work on a 19'. Any idea of the cost and do you recommend the auto level feature.

[8D]

hey guys, what size boat do you have and how much advantage do you find with them? I have thought maybe, but was not sure how well they will work on a 19'. Any idea of the cost and do you recommend the auto level feature.

[8D]

I installed Bennett M80's on my 18.5 ft Double eagle. Before the tabs boat fell off a plane at 24 mph, now falls off a plane at 18 mph and I can stick my bow into a heading sea and smooth out the ride much better. I can trim the engine where I want and then trim out the boat correctly. Best $$ spent on the boat. Purchased them online from a US dealer and installed them myself and saved about $600.

I installed Bennett M80's on my 18.5 ft Double eagle. Before the tabs boat fell off a plane at 24 mph, now falls off a plane at 18 mph and I can stick my bow into a heading sea and smooth out the ride much better. I can trim the engine where I want and then trim out the boat correctly. Best $$ spent on the boat. Purchased them online from a US dealer and installed them myself and saved about $600.

Flytyer, look in the archives for info on trim tabs. There has been topics about Bennett trim tabs. Saying that, I will give mho again about trim tabs. My 18.5' Double eagle 75 vintage came with trim tabs, I'm assuming they are original with the boat.One minor repair for me, so top marks from me for reliability. This is the first boat I've had with trim tabs and after experiencing what they can do for ride control I can say now that any boat I own in the future will ABSOULUTELY have to have trim tabs.
In answer to your questions, I would say they will work fine on your 19' boat. Cost I don't know. Auto level feature I don't know, but it sounds like a gimmick to me.
Bennett's website explains the whole theory on how they work quite well. It's basic hydraulics. You get port and stbd control plus fore and aft control. Trimming a leg i/o or outboard only gives you fore and aft but the problem with that is it takes away from the efficiency of the propellor
Highly recomend them.
And no I don't work for Bennett.

flytyer I have a 21 trophy didn't have tabs I put a set on made the all the differnece in the world I would do this again. I paid $ 550

Back