Trickle chargers

alley cat

Got one of those new trickle chargers from my Grandson for Christmas , the ones you leave plugged in and it keeps the battery topped up when sitting idle.
My question is , are they any good ? I mean are they hard on the battery ?
Seeing as how the little gaffer got it for me and asked at the same time when are we going fishing or crabbing it's hard not to use it ......right ? When he comes over it would make him feel good to see it on Gramps boat .................so just enquiring if there are any issues with these rigs ?

Tks

AL

Have one on my 26' for about 2 yrs now and it's always on-except when fish'n or boating.havn't had any ill effects or problems & its nice knowing when you go to the boat there is not gonna be a issue with 12 volt power.

The main thing is to have one that shuts off when the battery is fully charged. If not, it will over time, cause damage to the battery.

Yep its the one with the shut off when the battery is fully charged , hooked her up today to give it a go ; if anything goes awry I'll report it to everyone on here.

AL

I have a small charger on a car that sits, and just to be safe (because I once had a problem with over-charging) I use a timer switch that I purchased at Home Depot. I set it to come on twice a day for one hour each time. I used to go through batteries at least every other year, but with the switch method (along with a little charger that mounts beside the battery) the present battery has lasted many years. It must be over five years since I last changed that battery. [^]

Has anyone tried those little solar-powered chargers?

Good luck.

Wondering how long a 12volt battery,stored on the boat outside
will keep a charge in the winter??
i have left mine 2-3 weeks and it still cranked the motor over.

We use the solar powered trickle chargers for vehicles that are seldom used and located in remote locations or small Islands where they are needed when an employee arrives to use the vehicle and they work well.

I have a Pro Mariner 4 on my boat. It is plugged in to shore power when ever I get back from a trip. Keeps all 5 batteries topped up. Goes into 'float' mode when they are up. Stops batteries from going too low and shortening there life.
Its a good thing.

The best charger is one that has mulitple charging rates and ends with a float charge like kb has. Anything else can overcharge and boil off the water if left unattended which will shorten the life, especially a sealed or agm battery. Batteries need to be maintained at full charge for a full life. A good solar panel is a great idea, not the cheap ones but a good one, read the volts they put out as the cheap ones put out only 12 volts which is not enough, the better ones put out up to 15 volts. Basically at 12 volts the battery is undercharged.

Battery 101
Batteries consist of lead dioxide (positive), sponge lead (negative) and sulfuric acid (electrolyte) arranged in a series of plates to form a cell of 2.1 volts. A twelve volt battery is made of 6 cells to give 12.6 volts. (stainless steel downrigger wire, zinc, saltwater make a battery of about .85 volts)

Under discharge the plates interact with the electrolyte to form lead sulfate and water. (thats how a bulb battery tester works, its measuring the density of the fluid, more water, less dense, less charge) The lead sulfate and water is returned to lead dioxide and sponge lead by charging the battery.

Here is the problem with not keeping the battery charged up. The lead sulfate after a few hours begins to harden and crystallize and this is difficult if not impossible after awhile to change back resulting in a loss of battery capacity. All batteries suffer this and this is what causes them to die although the life expentancy can be greatly extended if they are maintained.

Deep cell batteries stand up the best to this, they have fewer but thicker plates able to last longer but cant produce high current compared to similiar size starting batteries. Starting batteries have more but thinner plates in the cells allowing high current but the plates are very sensitive to deteriation from under charging. Deep cells are the best for marine application unless you need a high current for certain motors like my 200 optimax, it needs a lot of juice to fire up the electronics and compressers so I have a starting battery to start it and a deep cycle for the house wiring.

Also, what shortens a battery life is excessive vibration, a battery being knocked around or vibrating causes the lead sulphates to fall off the plates creating loss of capacity over time. Another maintance tip is to keep the top of battery cover clean, after awhile the top gets a layer of acid / gunk on it and this actually causes a circuit for current. Put a volt meter down on the plastic case besides both posts on a dirty battery and you will see about a volt passing over the top from post to post.

Im sure most of you know this but for those that don't, hope it helps.

cheers ;)

Hey Marula, a big thank you for your most informative response! Having read your post I will now pursue an appropriate tricle charger with a "float charge" to keep the battery charged up over the winter. SS

Howdy,

Indeed, most excellent post Marula.

I might add in that it's also important to monitor fluid levels frequently, especially when charging.

I've boiled (dry) more than one battery in my day.

I agree also; the new breed of 'smart-chargers' out there are great and the price is not bad. Three-stage charging with a trickle/maintainence charge.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Terry

I'm interested in getting one for my boat, dual batteries, anybody have any recommendations and about how much to pay for one? Also any trick to hooking them up? Thanks in advance

Hey Equus, I just bought one at Wallymart called Ship-n-Shore for $68.00. It is a 10 amp unit which is supposed to be superior to the 6 amp units that they had for around $38.00. I also have 2 batteries and the unit comes with a Manual and Automatic charge mode. Just got it however, it seems to work fine. :D SS

Thanks SS, I'll get down to Walmart and check them out, any issues hooking it up?

Hey Equus, a piece of cake. I couldn't hook it up on the main battery as I have too much stuff hanging on those terminals so I hooked it up to the auxilary battery. The only thing that I found was that I had to turn my battery switch on for both batteries in order for it to charge both. I checked the battery charger today and it is indicating that both are fully charged. :D SS

That sounds awefull cheap. Mine was over $300.Make sure its safe. or else void yer insurance[B)]

Hey SS was down at Walmart, that is just a marine charger, I was looking for a permantently mounted charger that you plug in when you get back and it does everything http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/270619/377%20710%201646/712//Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201646&Ne=712&Ntt=&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&Nr=AND(Record%20Type:PRODUCT,Store:WESTMARINE)&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=9&subdeptNum=544&classNum=683
that's a long link but it should take you to West Marine - Pro Sport Chargers, I think this is what I'm after. But I would like to know if anybody has one or something similar and if it does the job.
Thanks

Sorry Equus, I guess I misunderstood what you were wanting to do. :) SS

No problem SS, its a learning curve, trying to understand all the info on the net is unreal. I have read way more about batterys and chargers than I ever wanted to know. I just want to find a simple and effective way to keep them charged as I have left my boat for 3 months unused. I wonder what these guys use that "winterize" their boats use.

I was under the impression that the Pro chargers were hooked to the main engine alternator and distributed charges to both batteries when main motor was running as needed. Do they also plug into shore power as well?

Back