Trap anchors

Rockfish

Was up in Campbell River for a fund Raising Dinner and picked this up in a tackle shop. I was curious and the price was reasonable but have never tried one, so no idea how well they work. The anchor is .7 of a Kelo and a Kelo is 2.2 lbs. Anyone tried one of these on the lower ring of a trap?

20170518_093755.jpg

Attachments

• 20170518_093755.jpg
    20170518_093755.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 11
I put one of the old 1980s style cement filled barbell weights in each trap, 5 pounds, seems to really help

if the objective is just to add some weight, no issues, more is better. if however the thinking was it to act as an "anchor", i wouldn't bother - i tried one out a while ago to keep the dingy off the beach and was totally useless. most "anchors" need specific setting techniques (scope, chain,pull etc) to actually hold.

I use anchors for my pots. Get rid of the stainless clip and tie to the bottom below the flukes and then zip tie to the spot where that clip is. That way if it gets hung up it will pull the anchor from the bottom. Have had tons get hung up but always have gotten back with this method.

I use these. Any movement of the trap whatsoever on the ocean floor will make the bugs scatter from fright away from the traps.These anchor s prevent the mainline from transmitting the ocean movement to the traps

Was up in Campbell River for a fund Raising Dinner and picked this up in a tackle shop. I was curious and the price was reasonable but have never tried one, so no idea how well they work. The anchor is .7 of a Kelo and a Kelo is 2.2 lbs. Anyone tried one of these on the lower ring of a trap?

What store did you find that in?

Shawn

I have 5 pound dumbbell weights in my traps and also these 5 pound balls on a 2' downrigger line clipped to the bottom to keep them going down straight.
IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

I have 5 pound dumbbell weights in my traps and also these 5 pound balls on a 2' downrigger line clipped to the bottom to keep them going down straight.
IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.jpg

Personally I wouldn't recommend a round weight for prawn trap fishing. They will roll off cliffs, banks, rocks etc and will keep moving your traps around as tides move.
Also you don't want to drop your traps straight down if you are using more than one pot on a line and/or if you are using multiple weights on a prawn line as they will pile up on top of each other. You should be putting a very slow but steady pull on your line with your motor engaged in gear when dispatching your traps so that none of the gear piles up on it's self when hitting the bottom.

Also with the clips for attaching the weights or traps to the mainline; it helps and is an extra precaution to make a loop in the mainline then clip the weight and trap to loops so that they don't slide on the main line at all. Even strong clips can slide on the mainlines. With the loops in the line you just have to keep an eye on those spots as they come in through the puller cause they can get jammed up as they go around it. I just put a bit of extra tension on it as the loop goes around the puller so it comes in without stopping.

I use anchors for my pots. Get rid of the stainless clip and tie to the bottom below the flukes and then zip tie to the spot where that clip is. That way if it gets hung up it will pull the anchor from the bottom. Have had tons get hung up but always have gotten back with this method.
Could you explain it a little bit better of how you tied to the back of the anchor but put a zip tie on the front in order to properly add this to my prawn trap

I've used old sash counterweights for years with great success.
When I set up my traps a couple of years ago, I was advised not to use cannonballs as they will move around on the bottom. I have a bunch of old anchor chain laying around, so made lead & trailing anchors with that. Works great & free!
I used about 5 lbs on the bitter end & about 7 lbs 25' along the mainline "up" from the first trap.

Are you guys weighting the traps or putting weight ahead of the traps ( further up the line) ?

I often find my bottom trap catches more than top trap. Possibly the top trap is moving around more or being lifted by my bouy?

Yup, that's why I put a weight on the trap line about 10-15 ft. above the trap to reduce movement of the trap from the buoy. If you are in high/strong current area then you probably want additional weight to anchor your trap from possibly moving around.

flat rocks work well if you can find them. Cheap. No tears lost if you loose them. I tie a cross tight over them with twine - then tie to that.

Are you guys weighting the traps or putting weight ahead of the traps ( further up the line) ?

I often find my bottom trap catches more than top trap. Possibly the top trap is moving around more or being lifted by my bouy?
Yes... Weight in each trap and an anchor of some sort at least ten feet from both traps. I have 2 lb cannonballs in the traps, but am going to add more weight before I use them again. I have wire traps, so they are pretty light.

I use the grapple anchor with zip-tie as above snapped to bottom trap and then two 2lb. weights snapped on the line about 15 ft above the second trap. Has made a world of difference since prior to that I had a lot of traps drag on me.

Back