TRANSDUCER TICKING

• Thread starter Thread starter liketofish
  • Start date Start date
L

liketofish

Bought this Hummingbird 717 fishfinder today to replaced my old Wide 128 connected the new tranducer to the new finder checked the voltage before pluging it in read 11.4v,usind two duracell batteries connected in series polarity is correct.When I turned on the finder and went to system status I started hearing a ticking noise coming from the transducer the unit reads self test is passed voltage is 11.5 0hrs went to simulator that screen displays properly. When I went to normal operation the ticking became more frequent. Is the transducer shot or the whole unit is shot.[V]

The ticking noise from the transducer is normal. If I forget to turn off my gps/sounder when I pull my boat out onto the trailer, I can hear a ticking noise from my transducer. The ticking noise is the sounder sending down a signal through the transducer until it bounces off the bottom and returns. The deeper it is, the longer it takes for the signal to return. That's the basics on how they work....I don't know much more than that.

Try to sounder out in the water before bringing it back to the store!

Your transducer is fine-you need to be concerned if the ticking stops while using it!
Islanderguy is right on with how they work.Now go fish would ya!
Hooch

Here's a silly question. I was told that you shouldn't leave your transducer "ticking", while out of the water. Didn't make any sense to me seeing as that's what they do? Is there any truth to this?

Dont worry, i have left mine on for the whole weekend[:o)]and no damage. Good way though to load test your battery

[8D]

Back