Trailer woes

S

sockeye seeker

Last weekend we loaded up our camper and were headed out to Port Renfrew towing our boat. We got as far as Jordan River, and the axle broke and one wheel went flying. The tow truck driver got our camping money. As we sat waiting for the tow truck, we could hear every vehicle towing a trailer hit the same bump as we hit. This is a warning to slow down before you start down the hill to Jordan River after the long straight stretch. When we were looking the tire I found a broken roller off someone else's trailer, so we are not the only ones to have this misshap. We got a new axle and springs from Princess Auto (only $35.00 to ship on the bus from Vancouver). We got a larger axle as we have lengthened our aluminum boat. We just changed springs a few months ago, but they were flattened. The local spring company said the springs we bought were 3,000 pound rated, but when we got these new ones we know they were bull****ting. We also paid twice the price for springs locally. So if your trailer is getting old (ours is over 15 years) you may want to consider upgrading it before **** happens.;)

Thats good advice, mine is 25 years old and I was thinking of replacing the springs and clamps a little while ago. Every pot hole going to renny made me kringe so I think this be definately a winter project. I will have to check out Princess Auto.

Where did you get the springs from the 1st time. I'm just about to do mine next week before I go up there.Did you do the work your self or job it out?I've got a 17.5 ft malibu with a 130 Yamaha and 9.9 Honda and was wondering what size springs to get.

I just replaced the axle for my utility trailer as well and it was from the hitch company toll free number was 1888-448-2426 and then they sent me a sheet with all the dimensions on it to follow they were quite helpfull to me anyways and it came cambered the only thing we did wrong was they had no hubs on the sheet there called idlers (didnt know that) but had them the next day overnight delivery.

Good luck Wolf

replaced my springs in august single axel $260 island spring in ladysmith. scottyboy

I totally redid my boat trailer 2 years ago when I saw a glum looking guy sitting by his trailer with a broken axel on the beach road at Renfrew. I had bought my boat, trailer, etc. and hadn't given two seconds thought to the condition of the axel. Now I know and can relax. (but I'll slow down on the Jordan River hill!
T2

quote:Originally posted by casper5280

Where did you get the springs from the 1st time. I'm just about to do mine next week before I go up there.Did you do the work your self or job it out?I've got a 17.5 ft malibu with a 130 Yamaha and 9.9 Honda and was wondering what size springs to get.
The first company is in Victoria (don't want to name precisely). We had 3 leaf springs, now have 4 leaf. You can determine the weight of your boat by driving it on the weigh scales for trucks when they're closed. We used the one in Duncan. Recommend you talk to an expert to determine your requirements.

princess auto has lots of stuff for trailers - cheap too.

DON"T FORGET TO CONSIDER THE EXTRA WEIGHT you put in your boat when traveling eg full gas tank water tanks tools equipment etc

happy trailering everyone

Back