Trailer camera for 2024 GMC.

Keith Brown

My truck came with significate camera upgrades that a very handy for hooking up and towing my boat. The truck soft ware is pre programed for a trailer camera. I went to GM to pick up the camera thinking it must be wireless and found out that the only GM camera available is a hard wired job. I have no problem hooking it up per say, but I was expecting a wireless job I could throw in the glove compartment when I am loading and unloading. The life expectancy of a hard wired camera in salt water cant be very good and further more I was thinking of mount on the boat somewhere not down near the ground on a boat trailer.

Wonder if anybody knows of a workaround for this camera on a boat trailer. I trailer quite a bit and the camara would save me a few trips out of my truck when I'm backing into a tight spot solo. Its not that big of a deal but my rig is just under 60 ft and requires a wide load permit.
Thank You
Keith

I think you’ll have to be hardwired at that distance. I have a wifi camera that goes to a phone app but it says 26’ max distance on the specs so it’s meant for back of truck, not back of trailer.

I was looking at this one but haven’t pulled the trigger #ad https://amzn.to/3LrZOa9
Hmm I not interested in the whole after market setup. It seemed like it would be a nice feature to addon to my trucks stock display system, but I have great mirrors and I'm over the stage of hitting sh#t backing up. I just thought it "might" be nice for backing up solo in a tight spot when you can't see the blind side of your trailer. The kicker is interpreting the wide angle view on some of the cameras can take some getting used to and a guy might have to have a look anyway. Great suggestion, but for me it easier to get out and have a look at the blind side once in a while then to add a camera system. Original I thought I could go to the dealer buy a camera and hook it to me boat a go. It looks like we're a couple of years from that right now.
Cheers
Keith

I think you’ll have to be hardwired at that distance. I have a wifi camera that goes to a phone app but it says 26’ max distance on the specs so it’s meant for back of truck, not back of trailer.
Thank you I never considered the distance.
Cheers
Keith

mine is hardwired into the boat and shows on the chartplotter. i can mirror chartplotter to a tablet via the chartplotters wifi hotspot. its mounted up high on the boat so no corrosion issue.

Back