Tofino in April

Delray

Heading up to Tofino on April 6-7 th. Toying with the idea of a fishing trip for my wife and myself. Primary for white fish ( halibut and ling ) as we usually do well fishing for salmon but haven’t given the bottom fishing a real effort.
Any suggestions of guides in the area?
Thanks to all

Won't be many guys in quite yet. Lance is a good guy. Fishes a pursuit and charters year round. Lance's Sportfishing I believe it is. I'd check the weather to see if you'd get outside for halis.

Problem with that time of year is weather. It can be darn rough and a very good chance you can’t get out to the Hali grounds. I did Tofino in April about 8 years ago, I won’t bother that early again.

Ya. Last minute idea. Weather Canada show SE 15-25 changing to SW 10-20 late in the day

Tonquin charters! Johnny is the bottom king there now. He also won Race for the Blue tuna derby twice in a row

Thanks for the suggestion. it would be nice to get out. Not a deal breaker though. We’ve already booked a place so we’re up there anyway. Thanks again

Won't be many guys in quite yet. Lance is a good guy. Fishes a pursuit and charters year round. Lance's Sportfishing I believe it is. I'd check the weather to see if you'd get outside for halis.

I am fishing with Lance at the end of the month (I believe he may be the longest tenured guide out of there now); he has a new to him Grady this year and bumped up from his old Grady.

I have been seeing pics and he has been doing well for bottom fish and for salmon.

If you use Instagram you can look him up and see some of his recent success.

Last edited:
Kelly Aspinall, Charter Tofino, Check out his site. We are doing a day trip April 15 with him. Good solid young man. He is already finding salmon of decent size.
Yup, Kelly is the top guide out of Tofino, IMO. Fished with him several times and he knows his sh*t, likes to have fun, has a sweet boat, and catches fish. Can't recommend him enough! Good instagram too! :)

Yup, Kelly is the top guide out of Tofino, IMO. Fished with him several times and he knows his sh*t, likes to have fun, has a sweet boat, and catches fish. Can't recommend him enough! Good instagram too! :)
No offense to Kelly but I don’t think he’s the top guide in Tofino

Made a tentative date with Tonquin Charters for Thursday, weather permitting. Thanks for the reply’s

No offense to Kelly but I don’t think he’s the top guide in Tofino
He’s one of “the top guides”! Can we settle on that? :D I don’t know him on a personal level but the few encounters I’ve had, the fish he’s put us on(when fishing in my own boat) and people I’ve recommended that have nothing but good things to say. * * * * * (5 stars)

Kelly Aspinall, Charter Tofino, Check out his site. We are doing a day trip April 15 with him. Good solid young man. He is already finding salmon of decent size.
Yup... x2. He led us last year to some very obscure places that he put in the time to find(we were the only two boats fishing said spot). The guy lives, breathes and drinks the chuck and seems to be one of the more rare guides these days that actually gets his guests involved in the process of catching a fish versus the classic (sets hook, holds on for the first drag, get tension and pass over the rod).

Back