Tire Opinions

Steelhead S2

Hi guys,

I am in the market for new tires for my 2008 Tacoma. So far I have been running the factory tires, and they are just about to fall to pieces. I spend a lot of time on logging roads and shot rock, so I want something I can be confident in in those conditions. I am on the island so there is not much heavy mud, but I need to be able to handle our wet sloppy snow. I am considering the BFG All Terrains, which most of my buddies recommend. But that is a pretty aggressive tire, and I understand that can lead to increased road noise and decreased fuel economy. Since I will also be driving the truck to work and using it to drive the family around, road noise and fuel econ are important.

Also, thinking about getting a bigger tire so I can get a few more inches of clearance. I have a good idea of the pros of this, but I am sure there are cons too. What are they?

I am a blank slate when it comes to truck stuff, so any input will be helpful. Thanks.

I got a set of Toyo Open Country 10plys M/S for my F150 I loved them so much that when I bought my Quad Cab Dakota I took it to the tire shop the next day and bought anouther set.

I had problems with Mich. LTX's with their side walls. But they were quite.

Goodyear tires suck.... I hydro plained all the time. Plus you have to buy new ones every two years. Being why they are called good year tires.:)

BFG's are really loud and they wear fast.

Toyo's are quite. They push water like I have never seen. So no more hydro plain issues. I have put 20,000km on them and they look brand new. I tow may boat to the west coast using the gravel roads and have never had a issue.

I would buy another set tomorrow if I needed tires.

There is another tread about this if you look back in the history. It was last year.

Good Luck,

i had really good luck with the hancook z36, used to be cheap but they became popular,
for all the time i have ever owned them and had them on different vechiles i never got a flat ( that is a small lie, i hit a huge rock once and popped the tire off its bead[:I], so no real flats from punctures)
i have ridden in trucks with bf all terrains and they can be noisy, but will put the kids to sleep on long rides, lol

I am looking for a set for my truck GMC 2500 diesel 4x4, one shop recommended a set of firestone 10ply. I was looking today at Can tire and the motor masters looked ok but I don't know anything about them. I stay away from Michellins, I have experience with them and the side walls are too soft but they have a good ride.

Thanks for the early replies guys. I did search the history and found a bit of help there too. Keep the opinions coming! Also, who can recommended a good tire shop on the south island?

BFG's All Terrain. Great tire, had them for years.

Tire shop? Go see Barry at Cedar Tire. He'll beat anyone on the Island. Lifetime rotation and balance too. Awesome srevice.

Dave

The top two all season truck/SUV tires rated by consumer reports are: 1. General grabber hts and 2. Continental cross contact lx. Michelin ltx are rated 5th, Toyo open country are rated 15th.

I've had my Michelin LTX's for 6 years on my Dodge Diesel, with no issues. 70,000 K's so far...trying to get 1 more year out of them.

Got a set of Michelin LXT`s 10 ply on my 3/4 ton. Over 80,000 km`s so far and know I`ll get at least another 20 k on them.

I gotta agree with adrianna3 that the BFG All Terrains and a great tire. They are one of the few with a 3 ply side wall (shot rock), most sizes are snow rated and a lot of guys bump up the size to 265/75R16 from the stock 265/70R16's. They're about 1 inch larger in diameter. If you've got 17" wheels you could go with a 265/70R17 that are the same diameter/height as the 265/75R16's.

Like adrianna3 said, get on the phone and get some pricing.

Noticed General tires mentioned. My experience is that these are garbage, as they are soft and super fast wearing, and not great traction. Toyo, Hankook, both seem better choices.

Too much water, too little time

I have had two sets of the BFG All Terrain tires. They get noisy and are sometimes difficult to balance. Had them on my ford f-150 and my 07 Ram. I wouldn't purchase them again due to noise and vibration.

I just purchased a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. Quiet compared to the BFG's and they have a aggressive look to them as well.

Reel Chaos

where abouts u at? that might help for advice where to buy, but just phone around, they can change their prices daily, depending on how slow or busy they have been

I'm in Vic. I've called a few places now, and Kal Tire seems to be the most competent. It was the only outfit that asked if I have a built in tire pressure monitor, which I do, which means additional costs. Shows he was thinking about my situation carefully. Also, he paid attention to my specific uses and concerns. Kal Tire recommended the TBC Wild Country XTX Sport. Any opinions on this one?

The other two places I called both recommended the tires they run, which may or may not be helpful. One suggested the BFG All Terrains and the other suggested the Scorpion ATR which is a little more $$$.

I am looking at minimum $1,200.

Thanks for the help so far.

shoot me an email im in vic thats what I do

just a tid bit of info

BFG moved a bunch of plants down to mexico a few years back and the quality of there tires has gone way down , they tak eway more weight than they used to

maybe we can work on a SFBC group purchase ??

ive done it on another board , but it was deep cylce batteries

amazing the power we have as a group

I was selling group 27 batteries Gel Cels for 27 bucks each

bought a skid

Steelhead, unless you're changing the wheels/rims there should be no extra charge for putting tires on a vehicle with the tire pressure monitors. I think someone has baffled you with over information. Probably said you should go with nitrogen as well.
When you phone for quotes, ask for the finshed price, and let them know you've got the TPMS. Different manufactureres put the monitors in different places. Usually the tires can be mounted without touching them. Be carelful of the extras for valve stems, tape weights and 4 wheel allignments to name a few. Like the nitrogen, some shops like these things as it's virtually no cost to them and just straight profit.
Adrianna3 already gave you a good place to look.

Tubed out, BFG is owned by Michelin and most of their plants are in the USA. All tires have the country of manufacturer on the tire or at the very least, a country code. Ask the tire guys if it is important to you.

Hey steelhead,
I work in this field and would be happy to answer any questions regarding your purchase. feel free to call me at work anytime mon-friday, just ask for mark. Cheeers:)

I need a new set for my truck as well so while we're discussing truck tires, anybody have any experience with the Yokohama Geolander A/T S?

They look good on paper but I have no real world knowledge of them.

Back