time for new halibut rods and reels--opinions?

So I think I'll forgo the roller tip. Am leaning towards penn 340's for the reels.
T2

340's are fine, I own 2 for about the last 5 years. No complaints. Rinse em off at the end of the day and keep them maintained. Also have an old set of 309's for back-up.

Roller guides are a personal thing I believe. I don't have a problem with the rods I own but then I don't hold it upside down either. The real should be on top of the rod, not below. Always.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!

Mr. Dean

Ive got one love it very finely balanced and very smooth!!!!

Wolf

The 330 is a great reel, As for the rod, I have an Abu Garcia Halibut rod, I have tried a few and like it the best. TroTac had them in stock a little while ago, I would not go with roller tips in any circumstance, the more moving parts on any thing the greater the chance of failure.

RG

I agree about the roller tip. I lost a couple of fish (and of course, you know they must have been huge hali :)) strickly due to the roller tip. All new rods now seem to be without the roller. I guess it was a fad that lasted about 20 years or so and now, manufacturer are moving away from the roller because the potential for failure is becoming widely known. I have a couple of penn level winder that I despise for big fish. The worm gear has failed on me on each reel and always while bringing in a fish. The guide starts to bite into the shaft of the worm gear and of course, all comes to a grinding halt. Not too exiting... I know a lot of guys like them, but to each his own. I now use Penn Senator 112H and 113H. They are work horses that just do not fail. I also have a senator 6/0 but it is too heavy for my liking

:)

Edited by - ratherbefishin on 04/12/2006 18:03:15

The 330 ld graphlite is the 2 speed model that has no worm gear on it.

Wolf

The rollers are used everywhere you fish for high speed fish. We used them on the east coast and Southern Cal for blue fin tuna, marlin, Yellow fin tuna, and king mackeral that would swim circles around any of the fish we have up here.(Don't get me wrong I love Salmon fishing) The idea of the roller is that is less resistance and the line does not get as hot. With the slower species of fish that we deal with up here it probably dosen't make that much differance. But last year when I tried to real in the 1200lb sea lion that had my 100lb I realy appeciated it. The rollers will be around after we are all long gone. The big draw back is the cost. The stainless steel ball bearing rollers are not cheap. But what ever works for you is cool. I do love do love my Shimano Beastmaster 6 foot roller rod with Penn interntional 30 reel. Nothing like the sound of the penn international. Tight lines

"Never lost a Small one"

Joey B.

Back