The Latest "Toy"

IronNoggin

For better than a decade now, my Partner and I have been churning out Sausage, Burger and so much more.
Through that time, we've gone through a series of grinder / stuffer units.

Kind of thought when we got the last one, that would be it:

s7_540709_999_01

And it has served us well. At this point it has consumed hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of pork & venison, and in fact is still running like new today.

But as with Boats, it seems we can also suffer from the More Horsepower affliction. :rolleyes:
About a month ago, I told my Buddy I would likely be looking at latching onto a One Horsepower Commercial Grinder this coming summer - once I'm back working and so have a little jingle that is.

Couple weeks went by, and he called noting Cabela's in Nanaimo had that same model on, for Over $ 200.00 OFF!
Huh? Really??
Had to do a little "creative accounting", but once I determined that price was real, we Pounced!
And today I assembled this Monster Unit for the first time:

Grinder_1.jpg

Grinder_2.jpg

Man-O-Man! This thing is HUGE! 60 Pounds dry weight!
Methinks it would have little problem eating an entire Moose all by it's self!
This in indeed what I call a Serious "Upgrade"!

Now looking forward to putting it through it's paces. My Bow-Hunting Partner is planning on wandering over later this week, and dragging along the Feral Pig he shot last fall. Turning that Beast into a whole pile of Polish Hunter Sausages should prove to be a Good Test methinks!

Right Looking Forward!!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Matt, holy crap! you just gonna start stuffing whole animals in there now lol.
I see a couple new toys there,
you should introduce the other little fella sitting in the background as well,
I know some may be interested in how to take some worries out of the smoking cycle;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a beaut for sure.
Do you know what you are going to do with the old one?

Your going to love that unit Nog. My father in law had the same model and the speed is crazy!!! Never seen ground come out so fast.

I see a couple new toys there,
you should introduce the other little fella sitting in the background as well,
I know some may be interested in how to take some worries out of the smoking cycle;)

I'll be doing just that soon. Marvelous little invention, certainly a very valuable addition to anyone's smoking arsenal!
Should have a post up on the next (new to us) type of sausage soon, and will include a run-down on the Controller in that too. ;)

Do you know what you are going to do with the old one?

You're about the fifth or sixth one to ask. LOL!
Really don't know why anyone would be interested - it has in fact run through well over 800 pounds at this point!
We're keeping it around for smaller tasks, movement between sites (this new one ain't likely to be moved around too much!) and "back-up" (although I doubt we'll need it in that capacity!). You can pick that same unit up on sale just now from Cabelas for $ 179.99 - decent deal for one of this size: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...rs/104364180.uts&WTz_l=undefined;cat104364180

Thanks for the comments Ladz. One of the Old Boys Club bought one of these last fall. I always wander over to help them with their butchering (3 moose this year) and had the opportunity to run theirs. I was MIGHTY Impressed, and thus began The Lust for the one we now have! Suspect it will see a LOT of use over the coming years... ;)

Cheers,
Matt

My buddy has one and he swears by it. He had bought a cheaper one and burnt it out but the cabelas unit is very tough and well made!

[video]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&ved=0CC8QtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYwR vWT0kaeQ&ei=TVX-VKnwIMXZoASJyYCoDQ&usg=AFQjCNHEFJcc7FpGZDiV_nTGRg1OrERp5A&sig2=VH2b8vzmCmeUiwLTKSmWAwI still use a hand crank for sausage making, less air put into the casing.

I still use a hand crank for sausage making, less air put into the casing.

We've run the new Toy for six 25+ pound batches thus far - two fresh sausage recipes into standard hog casings, two into mid-sized collagen casings for garlic coils, and two of the Large Summer Sausage collagen casings. With the over-sized ones, we had to watch to ensure no air pockets formed. With the standard and mid-sized casings this was not even a slight concern.

This machine REALLY Fires the mix into the casings Fast! Startling the first time around! :eek:
Was going to collect a stuffer, but given the cost of those that can handle 20+ pound batches, and the fact this toy does that so well, methinks likely not...

Cheers,
Nog

Well Iron you asked me to post it so here it is OUR beast we got in 1993 and going as good as it was then over 80 moose since then and dont know how many deer,elk,cows,pigs,sheep..in all that time BUT alot... as it was shared by 4 hunters when we first got it.. And yes thats a beer can sideways in thats how big the throat is on it...I can stick my whole hand it no problem ... This year we ran over 400 lbs of trim in less than 2 hours thru it and you dont have to be fussy in the size of the meat 1 lb chunks it eats no problem....

Attachments

• DSCN3956.jpg
    DSCN3956.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCN3957.jpg
    DSCN3957.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN3958.jpg
    DSCN3958.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 303
I've seen Wolf's set up and it is very impressive :cool:.

I love game sausage and these threads are excellent for learning etc.

Thanks for sharing guy's.

Cheers,
John

WOW Wolf!!! That is one Serious Machine Buddy! ;)

I see now why you called our latest one "little"! LOL!!

Many Thanks for sharing Buddy! Damn Impressive!!

Cheers,
Nog

Im lucky as in the shop have HOT water and a big commercial SS sink everything gets blasted off first any bits etc. THEN it gets washed and sanitized then put away in a metal cabinet to be reused when ever ... I also use a soap and slight bleach combo in water to sanitized.
Im a bit fussy when it comes to proper food handling...
Big walk in Cooler is next for hanging meat as i want to butcher and make sausages in off season this all I have to do is pour the Concrete pad and make a roof IT will be ready for this fall

Im lucky as in the shop have HOT water and a big commercial SS sink everything gets blasted off first any bits etc. THEN it gets washed and sanitized then put away in a metal cabinet to be reused when ever ... I also use a soap and slight bleach combo in water to sanitized.
Im a bit fussy when it comes to proper food handling...
Big walk in Cooler is next for hanging meat as i want to butcher and make sausages in off season this all I have to do is pour the Concrete pad and make a roof IT will be ready for this fall

Stopped using bleach years ago for sanitizing and tried so many other disinfectants, but I'm back to using diluted bleach for food processing and cleaning coolers and cutting boards. Something about the smell that says I'm clean. Lots of folks I talk to in the restaurant industry swear by it too.

Back