Telegraph report

• Thread starter Thread starter steelheadfreak
  • Start date Start date
S

steelheadfreak

Well after a week in the Telegraph area, I have to report, ITS HOT!

Well it was for us anyway. Big fish topped out at 34, 29, 26, 25lbs as well as tons of coho. Too many coho actually. Tuff to keep them off around Lizard. Halibut was good but nothing big. I think we faired better than most boats as at one point we made 5 passes at Baronet (sp?) and landed 5 fish before seeing anyone else with a fish on. Have to say, best trip as to date. Go get them kids, they are there!

We were in the blue North River jetboat with the black top if anyone saw us.

Cheers!

For the most part we ran clear green teaser heads with 5 inch chovey. Clear green flasher with green/yellow/silver holograph sticker (monkey puke?). Between 75 and 100 foot of water. Speeds varied but the bigger fish were hooked at 2.5mph and above. We ran a standard green/silver flasher as well but not as good. We also ran a coyote 4 inch green/glow spoon 5 feet behind an 8oz banana weight flat-lined in about 20-30 feet of water. Coho loved this one with nasty aggressive takes.

The buts were all taken in 175 to 300 feet of water just east of Lizard point. Right in the mess of all the guys trolling.......lol.:D

You are killing me. I will be up there at the end of July and can't wait. If you don't mind can you tell me where Baronet is?

Tight lines

Im sure what he is talking about is the tip of Craycroft pt baronet passage is where our lodge is located in between harbldown island and west craycroft it is basically the lowest end of blackfish sound im there starting from the 20th of july till aug 1. we moniter channel 6 up there on the VHF call me.

Good luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Im sure what he is talking about is the tip of Craycroft pt baronet passage is where our lodge is located in between harbldown island and west craycroft it is basically the lowest end of blackfish sound im there starting from the 20th of july till aug 1. we moniter channel 6 up there on the VHF call me.

Good luck Wolf

This is exactily where we got our bigger fish. Good times.

steelheadfreak i was thinking of planning a trip up there and staying at the marina hotel but was wondering if its possible to fish out of a 15fter with a 30hp and kicker? Is it like most places where you have to just pick your days. I figure that would be more fin than fishin the inlet. How long of a run to most spots. Sorry for the questions thanks for the report.

well, i'd run a 12 or 14' with a 9.9 if thats any indication! That was out of Mitchell Bay thou so it was never an issue if the wind picked up (fishing mostly north side of Malcolm)

These from my last trip up there...

n622875657_110901_1942.jpg

n622875657_110899_1459.jpg

quote:Originally posted by kelly

steelheadfreak i was thinking of planning a trip up there and staying at the marina hotel but was wondering if its possible to fish out of a 15fter with a 30hp and kicker? Is it like most places where you have to just pick your days. I figure that would be more fin than fishin the inlet. How long of a run to most spots. Sorry for the questions thanks for the report.

Its doable, sure. We ran into some nasty weather but it was far from the norm. We saw lots of guys in 16ers and if the water is flat, should have no probs. The weather can change fast but in that area you can usually judge it pretty good. Actually, some of the ruffest water is just outside telegraph cove. In a nutshell, its up to you and your abilities. And have a handheld VHF at least.

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmm looks like lizard pt in the background there!!!!!!and by the pic you were south of the slide there very good spot along there.

Kelly most spots if you were going from telegraph is 20 mins at most like SF said johnstone strait can be nasty but there is a short cut through hanson island then a straight shot to telegraph and its just over 2 miles across the strait.

Like I have said in earlier posts it can be hit or miss up there but look where the guides are they are there for a reason!!!!

Wolf

right on Lizard, not far enough east (I assume you meant) on your descriptor thou...that was right at the NE corner of Donegal...we were actually hitting them much better there than Lizard that time...got our spring limit both days...from 10lb to 25lb...

This one as well I took (same one I have at fishntactics currently...may have posted here before) was taken at Lizard looking to the east...fishing was awesome that day....sheet of glass.

fog1.jpg

A 16 footer would have been a yacht when I was a kid fishing Telegraph with my father,,, back in the early 80's we fished out of a 14 footer with a 15 horse Merc for years.. We stayed at a boat launch/gravel pit at Beaver Cove for a couple year before the first camp site was built at Telegraph,, then we stayed there for 2 years..
All in all we fished all sides of Malcolm through Alert and down into the straight all without any charts or electronics we used common sense,, still the best defence.. Fog was the most common thing that held us back on some mornings..
Fellows I am by no means a west coast boy but i do spend a lot of time on the water and have spent some time on the chuck and my experience tells me when she's ruff she's ruff get off. It don't matter if you have a 14 footer or a 26 footer in most cases its time to get off...
I am not by any means saying that a 14 footer can take the water a 26 footer can but,, when the winds start to pick up or if they are blowing,, just use common sense and don't go out... You can drown in anything if you don't know you're boundaries...

If i go ill bring a gps for fog and a handheld vhf/cellphone if problems arise. Sounds like if i play it safe and chose my days i should be fine. Good to hear the spots arent to far i dont like running more than 5 miles in such a small boat incase the weather gets nasty. thanks for the tips ill start trying to organize it

Kelly

Keep in mind that area has very heavy boat traffic. In addition to the rec fishing fleet, cruise ships and some ferries run on the north side of Malcom heading towards Blackney passage (probably not that close to shore though). Many boats do not bother to run with lights on in the very heavy fog. A very sharp eye would be very wise.

I'm looking to try a little coho fishing around Mitchell Bay or Lizard Pt. based on the great reports in this forum. Can someone give me some advice on the possibility of anchoring in Mitchell Bay, Double Bay, Plumber Islands, or the Pearse Islands. I have a 30` Reinell cruiser and will be fishing out of a small zodiac, so I don`t want to run too far.

Not sure on double bay being a resort and all...possible at Mitchell Bay (don't see why you couldn't), but it would probably be a nice gesture to ask the lady in the large house infront of the wharf (her name is Tina)...she kind of runs the show around there.

Kelly..yes, fog definitely more the issue...need the gps (well, life alot better when you have it)....I plugged in some coordinates of the key points around Malcolm into mine from Ozi Explorer, if you need them, just reply and i'll pass them on for you.

Highlander thanks...amazing what you can do with a 1.8mp camera (at the time)....think it actually helped for the mood of the photo

I've often seen sailboats anchored just east of double bay along hanson, around the back of a small island. I don't know the name of the bay or island though. Maybe check with local sources like telegraph or the harbour commission in Mcneill. If you can't get the exact spot, i wouldn't try it; there is alot of current in that area and the wrong spot could be trouble. Pearse and the plumpers have loads of current too and i've never seen anybody anchor there. Mitchell is a good bet, well protected and i know people anchor in there faily often.

The plus about the hanson spot is that you're right between cracroft and malcolm, with swanson right across from you. you'd have good access to most of the major spots; also its alot more scenic.
anyways good luck

There is a great anchorage in the Pearse Islands. Good hold, good protection, not much traffic. There are many, many other spots, so email me if you would like more info.

FishWish

Back