Taking a stand

• Thread starter Thread starter gimp
  • Start date Start date
quote:WRT the Ford study, it also cherry picked river systems to make their point. To say that the South western NB rivers are industry impacted , then compare them to the Miramichi and Restogouche is ludicrous. The are on oposite ends of the province and have totally different watershed characteristics amongst other differemnces. Ford & Myers makes you believe that the only diference is that the SW rivers have salmon farms and the others do not. When I read such articles it makes me sick that they call them selves scientists. What nmmakes me even sicker is you people have fallen for their BS.
Did you read the Ford study, sockeyefry? Please be honest here. I recommend everyone read it. View it at:
http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060033&ct=1

In it they state: "Our study contrasted trends in wild populations exposed to potential aquaculture impacts with those of populations not exposed. Populations in which juvenile salmonids pass by salmon farms during their migration were considered to be exposed to impacts of salmon farming. Exposed populations were carefully paired with control populations in the same region whose migrations did not lead past farms, but which otherwise experienced similar climate and anthropogenic disturbances. Use of such paired comparisons allowed us to control for confounding factors such as climate to detect population level impacts."

Specific to your complaint, they state:"We compared Atlantic salmon returns to six rivers in the Bay of Fundy (New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada) to returns to four rivers from other areas of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We grouped the six exposed rivers into three groups and estimated the impact of aquaculture on each group separately, because salmon from these three groups have different degrees of exposure to salmon farming. The three groups of exposed rivers are the inner Bay of Fundy group (Stewiacke and Big Salmon Rivers), the Saint John River group (Saint John and Nashwaak Rivers), and the outer Bay of Fundy group (St. Croix and Magaguadavic Rivers). Salmon farming in New Brunswick is highly concentrated in the Quoddy region of the outer Bay of Fundy (http://www.gnb.ca/0177/10/Fundy.pdf), although some farms are also found along the Nova Scotia coast of the Bay of Fundy. Salmon from control rivers enter into the Atlantic directly (LaHave River) or into the Gulf of St. Lawrence (Restigouche River, Miramichi River, Catamaran Brook) and do not pass by farms during their migrations. The same controls are used for all comparisons in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The estimates of returns to the rivers are published by DFO [28,35–40]. Outer Bay of Fundy salmon must pass through an area containing many salmon farms early during their migrations [41]. Although Saint John River salmon enter the ocean in an area without salmon farms, they are known to pass through the region containing many farms early during their migrations [41]. Salmon from inner Bay of Fundy rivers are considered exposed to salmon farming despite being up to 260 km away because of historical information indicating that juvenile salmon from these populations are found during the summer and fall in the area where salmon farms are currently located [42]. "

I'm not understanding your complaints.

Agent,

Have you ever been to the Maritimes? Do you know where the salmon farms are located?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry
Agent,
Have you ever been to the Maritimes? Do you know where the salmon farms are located?
If you are trying to infer that somehow the Upper Bay of Fundy rivers are too far away from the open net-cage aquaculture in the Passamaquoddy Bay area of for those wild Atlantic smolts to be impacted - then you are inferring that fish don't swim and you simply haven't done your homework here, and don't understand that salmon migrate in the ocean.

We already covered this at:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8228&whichpage=19
and
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8228&whichpage=20

Don't you remember, sockeyefry?

Agent,

Answer the question, and stop deflecting
There's actually 2 questions here. I thought I was getting to the root of them off the hop. Why are you asking these questions? What is your purpose?

The Ford Myers study is nothing more than a selection of data points to prove an agenda. River systems which are presented as being comparable on paper are not in reality even close.

Krkoseks math ignores any biological interactions. The math doesn't provide for the biolgical interactions so necessary in population biology.

Other studies you have provided included the statement that any causal link between lice and population declines have been difficult to prove because of other environmental factors. These statements never appear in the media unfortunately, cause they take away from the authors agenda.

Then you make this statement:

"Then I pasted the abstract from the Ford and Myers study to reference this statement - which you ignored because I'm assuming your mind is made-up and you wish not to be confused with facts in your quest to absolve the fish farming industry from it's effects and responsibility."

You are guilty of the same things that you accuse Handee. Your mind is made up and you do not want to be confused with facts because the will ruin your little agenda. Doesn't that make you something, I believe it starts with H.
holy crap...first night on the board and already I am pounding my head on the wall with this back and forth crap

Back