Tablet plug-in options

MikePA

I want to run a tablet as a mapping device and would like to be able to charge it while running.. what are some options to do this? I'm hoping to run a cable from the unit to something behind the dash that can attach to the power block. Thanks for any recommendations.

I want to run a tablet as a mapping device and would like to be able to charge it while running.. what are some options to do this? I'm hoping to run a cable from the unit to something behind the dash that can attach to the power block. Thanks for any recommendations.
Get yourself a USB plug in and set it in the dash panel. Most automotive shops sell them this day and age. Very easy install. I am lucky my new boat came with the cigarette style plug as well as a dual USB plugs. But like I say the plugs are easy to find.

Last edited:
you can retrofit the lighter space for a double USB outlet.
Get yourself a USB plug in and set it in the dash panel. Most automotive shops sell them this day and age. Very easy install. I am lucky my new boat came with the cigarette style plug as well as a dual USB plugs. But like I say the plugs are easy to find.
Thanks guys.. I was hoping there was something similar to go behind the dash so that I could run a cable from it, up through the top of the dash like most screens are wired.. I guess I could just put one of these out of sight behind the dash.

I have that as well, but hoping to avoid having wires crossing my dash up to the tablet.. maybe it wouldn't be that bad..
Ya I'm lucky, got my tablet mounted on the right of my dash with a cup holder mount, and the power supply is right below it.

Do you mean a wired stand/iPad dash mount?
Never thought of that option.. just bought an arkon mount to put the tablet in that will sit on top of the dash, but the mount itself isn't powered. I didn't want to have the charging cable coming from a plug-in on the front of the dash, rather coming from the back of the dash like most electronics are wired.

Keep in mind it won’t have to be plugged in all the time, just to charge. If you take it in charged you’ll be good for quite a long day of use.

I would take your tablet out on a sunny day and see how much you actually like it. The glare from the sun makes them hard to see sometimes.

lot
Is there something to place over the screen to limit this issue?
lots of different sun shades available on the interweb

I would take your tablet out on a sunny day and see how much you actually like it. The glare from the sun makes them hard to see sometimes.
I ran my Ipad as a secondary Nav system in my pilot house boat and it worked well. On my current center console boat with screen brightness cranked it is not nearly bright enough. they will use a lot of power on max brightness, I charge it at 4.5 amps all day. I just replaced it with a small Simrad GO9 for better visibility in the blazing sun.

Its a Campion 542 with the Bimini enclosure.. rarely will it be in direct sunlight.
I had one in my Hourston with Bimini for a little while about 4-5years ago and if you got any sun on the screen with your sunglasses on it was hard/impossible to see. That was an older iPad mini and I did have a glare reducing screen protector on. Maybe the screen brightness has improved in newer ones? Buy a quality charging cord and keep a spare on hand if your tracking yourself on navionics with full screen brightness you will use battery pretty quick. I switched to a second screen and wouldn’t go back.

I run a 10” tablet as well as my Raymarine unit, yes you will get some glare but I can live with it given the price point

Attachments

• 62D65C37-0DA1-4DD7-8E53-26C3CA563634.jpeg
    62D65C37-0DA1-4DD7-8E53-26C3CA563634.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 70
  • F44F852D-003A-428D-A782-E06B60C93B99.jpeg
    F44F852D-003A-428D-A782-E06B60C93B99.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 68
I just ordered a Simplidock for my old mini6. It’s mount is very similar to my Garmin 8612xsv. It has a power hook up in behind that I’ll wire to the backside of my cigarette lighter for charging. It looks super clean. And my plan is, to eventually get a second tablet that I can mirror the chart plotter on the back deck so I can fish back there, run the auto pilot. The mini will be used for navionics up in the helm. I’ll post a picture when I get it installed

Back