Swiftsure

E

erin

Has anyone been out to the Swiftsure Banks in the past 2 weeks? Are the Halibut there..or Coho? Im plannin on going this weekend and am wondering if I still have a chance? Does anyone know how shallow the banks come up?I've been on the west coast ( rollers and chop too) abot 5 times fishin...no seasickness....what are my chances of goin to the banks and not gettin sick...any suggestions?WristBand or...?Can you see shore from the banks?:)

From the Port Renfrew report they are still getting Halibut on the bank but I hear salmon was slow. The bank is generally fairly deep 150ft-300ft its a vast erea totaly depends on what part of the bank you are fishing. On a clear day you can see the shore from a far distance again depends how far out on the bank you are.. its a vast area you better know where you are going and what you are doing! Who are you going with? Guide? or some one that knows the area I hope. The sea conditions out there can change very quickly you have to know what you are doing at all times out there.
Here is the link to the weather station to use for Swiftsure..
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/marine/marine_e.html?46206
Port Renfrew
Spring salmon fishing has been SLOWER with spotty action near East Point, Logan and Camper creeks. The big springs off the mouth of the Nitinat River have moved into the river and action has really dropped off there. The COHO fishing has also been spotty off shore. Halibut fishing out at Swiftsure Bank has been GOOD most days.
http://www.fishingvictoria.com/reports.asp

Check regs for closure area, it's tough to know where you are in relation to the closure line. Had a guy give me lat / lon for a can't miss halibut hole, put into GPS and it was in the middle of the closure.

We have fished swiftsure the past 3 years late in September and done great.

We fish near the east end of the no fish zone in 240 to 270 feet of water. I think we limited everytime we went out last September. This year I promissed the wife a vaction that did not envolve fishing in September so the boat is in the side yard. I hope you do well.

The fish are soooo there out at the banks...I have never been out there, and we went out last weekend with "Chinook Charters" ( out of Tofino)It was awesome...soon as you put the rod down...boom..you had a Halibut, one after the other, we almost limited out, and we only had a five hr charter, and it took over an hour to get out there and back, Im not sure if he is done for the season or what?But he is the guy to go with!Fishing will sadly :0( never be the same around the inside waters!

Back