Swiftsure Report

Went out friday to swiftsure...rode the 8ft, 6 second rollercoaster, and came back in. I don't know how long the long liners are going to be there, so next trip out I am going to check out some spots west of swiftsure bank (maybe around 'The Sock' or 'Long Hole'). The bathometric chart sure comes in handy!

picked up all my charts yesterday at nixons, gps is installed, boats been polished, campsite reserved just waiting till the 28, by what I've heard from friends fishing that you don't have to go out far.

Roscoe-pco - Where are you going out of? For me (from Neah Bay) it is a 20 naut. mile run to the northeast corner or southwest corner of the Swiftsure closure. I have looked at the chart between renfrew and swiftsure and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of plateaus, pinnacles, or holes. How far is "not far" for you to get the hali's?

Cornfed,

Do you keep your boat up at Neah Bay all summer? I was up there two weeks ago but the crew I was with didn't want to run to Swiftsure so we just fished around the neah bay area and got our bottom fish got out ling and rock fish. I think we are going to run accross in July and August.

Battaglino - My father and I worked out a deal. He keeps his boat at Neah Bay and I keep mine in Seattle and then we trailer to Westport for tuna, or to the CR for kings and sturgeon. I plan on fishing every other weekend this summer up there. I have been doing a lot of catch and release with the lings and rockfish...trying to find the bigger ones. I got a 20 lber last trip up. My biggest is 36. Guys out of neah have been making the long haul with long liners at swiftsure for halibut.

4-23122.jpg

I don't if this works or not...we'll see.

Cornfed,

What is you moorage space? I keep mine at D-26 I still have to get mine up there I have been going out on freinds boats so far this year. I need to get mine serviced in the next couple of weeks. We have done really well at swiftsure the last 5 years I am looking forward to getting up there. How far out are you running to get to the Tuna at westport? What kind of boat do you have? That is a nice ling we did not weight the ones we caught a few weeks ago but we didn't keep anything under 30 inches they are alot of fun to catch. Well I hope to see you up there this summer. Joe

Joe.

I'm over on C-Dock. I actually haven't gone for tuna yet, but am looking forward to getting into it. This year is an El Nino year according to a Saltwater Sportfishing magazine that I get (can't remember the name at this time). May only have to go out 20 miles. It just depends on what the SST charts say. I talked to a gentlemen that caught tuna at Blue Dot in 2005. I have a 2002 25' Starcraft Expedition.
1442559_1.jpg

Dad's boat is a 35' Albin. Can't miss it. Hang'm High
July2006Name2.jpg

Does anyone have an update on Swiftsure halibut? Have the longliners moved out of there yet? Would it be more beneficial to head west of the bank and hit up "The Sock" or other location on La Peruse? I will be headed up this weekend to check it out.

Does anyone have an update on Swiftsure halibut? Have the longliners moved out of there yet? Would it be more beneficial to head west of the bank and hit up "The Sock" or other location on La Peruse? I will be headed up this weekend to check it out.

Back