SVOP - Small Vessel Operator Proficiency

Thanks all. I'll look into some of these. I did look for in person when I signed up for power squadron earlier this year but couldn't find any close to me. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
Where are you? Cape Lazo squadron does in person 2 day courses.

Where are you? Cape Lazo squadron does in person 2 day courses.
Nanaimo. Weirdly when I searched back in May this option didn't come up. I was only looking on the main cps-ecp site though. Thanks for the tip. Still seems like it is theoretical though, as opposed to actual on the water in situ experience? Not to discount the theory by any means, but it would be nice to complement it with on the water stuff to help it stick. I do have my PCOC at least, which I think is more than some folks on the water can say ;)

Good advice offered here - SVOP assumes that you are a proficient operator wishing to move into commercial charter operations. It also assumes that you have already taken Marine Emergency Duties, have marine radio, first aid etc. So the SVOP concentrates more on commercial charter safety, trip planning, responding to emergencies, vessel safety requirements etc.

Here's what is covered in the course - again aimed at proficient operators preparing to do charters:

Legal aspects and requirements of non-pleasure small vessel operations
Vessel hull types and configurations & basic construction terminology
Propulsion systems
Mooring of a vessel and related seamanship work
Manoeuvring a vessel
Safe navigation and collision prevention
Maintaining a vessel’s stability
Safe working practices and safety culture
Marine weather and marine forecasts
Use of radar for navigation safety
Determination of a vessel’s position using electronic navigation aids
Use of marine charts and nautical publications to plan and execute a voyage