Strip versus Whatever Else

otter

Often wondered the difference if any or advantage of using either, in available headsheads . Remember in the late 60s when I started that the Colonist newspaper displayed on a weekly basis,year round I think, the name of the fisher and lure/bait used with the weight of the catch. 99percent used Herring strip, period. Is herring less abundant now,maybe but I see pleanty out in Sooke waters. Is a salmon that fussy if a herring or anchovy is trolled in front of him?
So what Im going to do this winter is experiment,herring strip on one rod and whatever on the second.

I use strip alot in winter with a dummy flasher and do a few things to the teaser head to make it spin faster, works very well I put a hole on the front side higher up on the teaser head and it will spin faster send her down then its just you and the fish no flasher bring out some light rods and reels way to much fun.

Good luck Wolf

Wolf, you say spin faster, I thought the norm to be a slow lazy roll?
God maybe I will have to experiment with that.

I have quietly used strip for years it is very god on coho as they hit and you can use the bait over and over again in my experience.

I have found that the most effective holder was the clear one with the thin red line on the outside edge.

AL

quote:Originally posted by otter

Often wondered the difference if any or advantage of using either, in available headsheads . Remember in the late 60s when I started that the Colonist newspaper displayed on a weekly basis,year round I think, the name of the fisher and lure/bait used with the weight of the catch. 99percent used Herring strip, period. Is herring less abundant now,maybe but I see pleanty out in Sooke waters. Is a salmon that fussy if a herring or anchovy is trolled in front of him?
So what Im going to do this winter is experiment,herring strip on one rod and whatever on the second.

Herring will slay the feeders I'm sure you will find. Stick with the large teaser heads in the glows of course.

Super strip teasers IMO is the best lure for mature coho, trolled quickly, they can't refuse.

As for mature summer springs in Sooke/Renny etc, I personally have always been a dedicated 'chovie roller but I have heard on various occasions that some guys do very well trolling strip.

Im just curious with using herring this winter versus anchovie,or lures. Its something to think about,ie am I getting fish or not versus the plastics or spoons. Dont know until you try it out.

I have done well with medium small cut plug herring with or without a flasher for winter chinook.

Back