Streamers for salmon?

• Thread starter Thread starter kippersnack
  • Start date Start date
K

kippersnack

I am wondering if anyone on this forum uses flies..streamers etc..on their setups rather than the usual hoochies , cut plug herring..etc. for bait.Since some streamers are very good imitators of baitfish found around the island would they not be a good choice for catching salmon? If anyone does use them what are the best patterns in your opinion? Any input is appreciated..I have not tried this myself yet but am planning a trip to the coast and tie flies as a hobby so I am hoping to use them while I am out there..Thanks in advance.

quote:Originally posted by kippersnack

I am wondering if anyone on this forum uses flies..streamers etc..on their setups rather than the usual hoochies , cut plug herring..etc. for bait.Since some streamers are very good imitators of baitfish found around the island would they not be a good choice for catching salmon? If anyone does use them what are the best patterns in your opinion? Any input is appreciated..I have not tried this myself yet but am planning a trip to the coast and tie flies as a hobby so I am hoping to use them while I am out there..Thanks in advance.

Yep..you can use them.

When there used to be Coho around on the inside waters, we used to put 'em behind dodgers and flashers and they used to catch fish all day long.

One of the fun things was to see how fickle even Coho could be to slight colour variances.

I miss those days.

I still have a few that I treasure for sentimental value.

Is there any specific pattern that you liked better than others? Do you tie a lead to the fly directly from the flasher or do you add a ford fender etc..ahead of it as an attractor? I am even considering anchoring to some bull kelp or drifting along kelp beds using flyfishing tackle and weight to get the fly down deeper if necessary, although I have read where you don't necessarily have to go deep to catch fish.

quote:Originally posted by kippersnack

Is there any specific pattern that you liked better than others? Do you tie a lead to the fly directly from the flasher or do you add a ford fender etc..ahead of it as an attractor? I am even considering anchoring to some bull kelp or drifting along kelp beds using flyfishing tackle and weight to get the fly down deeper if necessary, although I have read where you don't necessarily have to go deep to catch fish.

I used to go directly to the flasher or dodger....good luck with the flyfishing---get ready to put in lots of time...the best time is in late September or October when the Cohoes come down the beaches now.

Some of the faves included a bit of pink---one in purple, pink, grey, and flash---that one was a favorite--and usually patterns imitating herring or needlefish......I remember bucktailing with them and you could get springs at sundown on them--and you'd put a small pearl spinner in front..---BUCKTAILING for SPRINGS!...or a 2 oz lead, a small dodger, going fast..it was extremely exciting to see springs come up from behind..and Cohoes chase along. Truly magnificent! The best times were when the sun was on it's way down, there was lots of bait, and of course, there were fish around.

I think ultimately, you'll have to be VERY selective on where and when you fish now..

Oh those were the days...

Here is a post I put up on ifish.net, something you might want to checkout. Look esp at the salty dogs section:

Troll big streamer flies, basic patterns are crystal flash and some green, blue Hair, a red throat and an eye tops it off. My fave is based on flies in Bruce Fergusons, Les Johnsons, Pat Trotter book, Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon - only I use Polar bear hair (from a legal hide).

Troll fast 4-6 Kts, flies should skip, troll rip lines and watch the fly. You will see Coho chasing w near misses that look like a dark dimple behind the fly..then wham...I use steelhead class gear with drags set light. I also use a 6wt fiberglass fly rod.

Also, some of the patterns in the book are super deadly for Blackmouth behind a flasher..

I will also edit this in a bit to include a link to some photos of flies I have had great luck with.

As promised:

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/28253/cat/500/ppuser/6287

The fly in the upper right corner has been fished quite a bit behind a flasher..with super results...MATCH the baitsize !!!!

JD

Thanks for your help..I will be tieing some up in anticipation of a trip out there this year!:)

Back