Storage questions

Olde School

Good morning, everyone.

I have an 18' f/g boat with a cuddy and outboards. The windshield covers the dash. The boat is parked with the trailer tongue high enough to ensure good drainage. The battery is left on the boat with a maintainer connected to it. The MFD is locked up. The kicker is locked up too.
Last winter I built a tent pole type structure out of PVC pipe and tarped the whole thing, with a small heater running in the cuddy, and the canvas brought into the house.

I am considering not using the tarp system this year, and instead simply using the small heater in the cuddy, and bringing the canvas and seats indoors.
This would mean leaving the cockpit and dance floor in the elements all winter.

The purpose of not tarping the boat would be to allow spur of the moment trips for prawning and crabbing over the winter months.

Can you see anything wrong with this strategy?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew in Port Alberni.

When I made a comment about this I got the response “boats are built to get wet”

Personally I think not trapping it causes quite a bit of UV damage and makes cushions crack and white turn yellow and plastic become brittle over long term

I have found that resale value is greatly increased and maintenance decreased by keeping the vessel out of the sun and rain. just an observation after 40 years of owning boats

Get yourself a structure to park underneath. The vevor brand 10x20 fits an 18’ boat easy and it’s under $400 no need for side walls just a roof. If you have a canvas and slope back leave that on and put your heater/dehumidifier inside.

Similar sized boat & setup. I think you’d regret it if you keep things out in the elements unprotected. You’re doing all the right things in the offseason by the sound of it. It is quite the process to “put away” or “load” a boat even of our size. I use a “window” approach to offseason trips. Whether it’s family coming into town, some time off of work, or nice weather, I’ll uncover my boat and set it up, knowing that I have “x” days to fish. Then bring it home and put it back to bed. I keep my frame & canvas on (fully enclosed) but I know I could get a storage or trailering cover for the back. I fish Feb-mid Oct. I’ll pull the boat out…a couple times maybe during that time. It’s worth looking after your investment as our climate is not conducive to things being left outside. Do you have space for a structure where you could drive your boat into/out of? That’d be ideal.

Back