Stiff steering

Wireman

I have recently bought a new boat but the steering is hard to turn. More so to the starboard side. It is hydraulic made by teleflex.The steering pump is sytten.It also has dual steering and a tie bar valve which joins the main engine leg to the kicker which is also hydraulic.My arms are getting tired. Thank You In Advance Cheers.

Is it a i/o or a outboard motor? I have the same problem on my i/o and when I asked a few people they said that it is the torque of the leg and that it can be corrected with a zink. The one that is on the leg just above the prop. You can mount it so that it is on an angle and will help controll the stiffness of the steering. This may not be the problem, and I am sure that any marine mechanic will give you some good advice.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

It's an i/o and it is hard to turn the steering wheel in or out of the water.I should also add that it is the forward steering station that is giving me grief. Thanks for your input Mikiki. Cheers.

First check your fluid level, if it is to high it can't dump the return oil in easily and might make it stiff. Other then that it could be a stuck bypass valve in the unit. Those teleflex's are very simple and durable units so I bet if you tore it apart and cleaned it out it would work great. Over time they take up water in the hydraulic ram and the oil gets gunky. Also you can get a seal kit pretty cheap and replace them all while your at it. Teleflex are made in richmond and are a great product. Trotac will have the seal kits.

I did mine in about an hour or so and then put new oil in. Works like new.

Any questions let me know.

url]

url]

Ha Marula thanks alot. I'm hoping that it's that easy of a fix.I have a SYTTEN steering pump and I've read that they are obsolete and parts are no longer available,I hope what I've read is not true thanks again. Cheers

just fixed the same prob on my boat check the wheel tentioner bolt ,

Since your problem seems to be in just one direction I would hazaed to say that the needle valve in your valve is sticking or has picked up a small amount of material in the orifice.

Hi every one, thanks for all of your input but i got in touch with teleflex in vancouver,they no longer make the sytten steering pump or have parts.If i take it apart i would at least need a seal kit which they can not supply. Anyone out there have spare steering pump they want to sell. LOL LOL!!! Thanks Again CHEERS.

Back