Stainless Steel Welder Wanted in Victoria Area

by the time you find and secure a welder, is he a fisherman? does he understand what you want, wait times, possible screw ups you’re prolly just better off buying the $200 Njord gear ones. they’re bomb proof

Thanks for the input. Not sure where you got the $200 price? NJORD website says $275 each, PNT lists $250 each, Harbour Chandler lists $300 each.

True they look good, but for $560- $672 for two this is too rich for me, especially after buying the SS rod holders I already have.

Pretty sure any decent welder can figure out how to weld the rod holders I have on - pretty straightforward. I would do it myself if I had the equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Not sure where you got the $200 price? NJORD website says $275 each, PNT lists $250 each, Harbour Chandler lists $300 each.

True they look good, but for $560- $672 for two this is too rich for me, especially after buying the SS rod holders I already have.

Pretty sure any decent welder can figure out how to weld the rod holders I have on - pretty straightforward. I would do it myself if I had the equipment.
I would be curious to know if your downrigger arms are telescoping or not? If they are just be extremely careful who you get to weld on them. Tig welding will be the only way to do it and the welder has to be competent and experienced to do the work so as not (hopefully) to distort the boom tubing(s). Also an inexperienced/incompetent welder could easily put too much heat and filler material and fuse a telescopic boom together or deposit a jagged mess on the inside of the outer tube so that the inner tube will not be able to slide in past it. Just saying. Good luck.

Ask Empire Welding - I know they do steel and aluminum - and also welded the handle back on a stainless pot for me. They do everything from small jobs like that to large ones like building trailers. In Langford on Goldstream near the intersection of Leigh.

I would be curious to know if your downrigger arms are telescoping or not? If they are just be extremely careful who you get to weld on them. Tig welding will be the only way to do it and the welder has to be competent and experienced to do the work so as not (hopefully) to distort the boom tubing(s). Also an inexperienced/incompetent welder could easily put too much heat and filler material and fuse a telescopic boom together or deposit a jagged mess on the inside of the outer tube so that the inner tube will not be able to slide in past it. Just saying. Good lucK
My booms are telescoping.

i could have sworn i saw them at PNT for $200 but that might have been on their special edition downrigger which was loaded with all the Njord goodies which also had the aluminum spool and swivel bases

Do you know what the wall thickness is of the Scotty boom? Might have some issues with welding the holders to that thin of a gauge. Make sure whoever agrees to do the work, that they backpurge the boom so you don’t get sugaring on the backside of the weld. Sugaring contributes to weaker welds and inferior corrosion protection on the inside of the boom.

Back