Stainless steel Plate

316 L ? Try a fab shop near where u live. I have often scrounged small pcs of material this way for my small boat/trailer jobs.

I can get you stainless in that size no problem but it's not marine stainless. Let me know Marty.

Not sure where you are but if there is a Metal Supermarkets around you they will supply it, and will make the cuts for you. They charge quite a bit more than other suppliers, but it saves you having to buy a full length of flatbar, so it actually is not a bad deal.

go with cannibals offer or a local fab shop. to get the material and cut at metal supermarkets you might as well get them to take your arm off with it

your easily 100 or over.... metal supermarkets... find some scrap material.... Honestly you can use 302 or 304 especially for something like that...... 1/2 the price. 316 is awesome but you pay for it...

I have two brackets made of 316 that I designed in solidworks and then had them CNC laser cut and bent. They have some surface rusting but only on cut edges and where the bend lines are.... 316 is great but its still gets a little surface rust in cut edges totally normal... like I said said if you can find a shop that has some scraps.

The reason I know this is that wood stove manufacturers which I used to design for used 302/304 metals in there fireboxes. These environments were extremely corrosive and that stainless held up... Never used 316 much.... I think we used 302/304 it also as it was easier to weld with....

Lots of brackets on boat not 316...

Last edited by a moderator:
304 should be fine for that application. Most of the time rust on the surface is from contamination with carbon steel (grinding dust etc.). You need to pickle it with pickling paste after fabrication. You can get rust marks from the carbon steel tooling on benders too.

If you are careful with handling and pickle after fabrication 304 can look great after years of service.

I also agree with the metal supermarkets comments :).

Back