Stacking lines with braid downrigger line

trendsetter

So I am new to braid; I just re-spooled my downrigger with 250lb braid last night. I find it's much easier to work with than the old steel cable.

However, when I stack my rods fishing for sockeye I'm finding that the clips are moving a few feet on the line. For example I always set my bottom line 6' above the cannon ball/dummy flashers and when I got to retrieve the line I find it's now more like 12' or 15' above the cannon ball....

Does that happen to anyone else? Do I need a different type of release clip for braid?

Thanks

Thanks Pippen, I've seen those in tackle shops but never tried them out. I'll pick some up next time.

Holmes, good idea. That would've save me a few clips this summer.

no movement

I've been running braid now for 2 seasons. I don't remember the type/strength, but probably the heavier braid.
I've never had a clip move.
I use the red beads to set the stops, and the clip is always in the same place. I have had the red clips break from time to time.

I haven't had a clip pop off with braid either. I also use that rope/puller thing which is great and doesn't make the clips pop off either. Used to be good for losing a clip or two every few outings with the cable.

Just lost my first balls to braid fatigue/abrasion a couple of weeks ago, at the end of the second season now. Should've cut off the last 10-15 feet at the beginning of this season (or from time to time). Never looked at it until I lost the ball, then I found it worn (most likely from dragging bottom) for the last 15 feet or so.

***The deepest I go on the downrigger is maybe 140ft.

Use the red braid stopper bead things. Double em up if you like. That's what I do. Beads stay on line all the time at 6' off ball then at 30' up from that.

Bend the metal end of the clip that pinches the line out a bit and it shouldn't slip on the braid anymore.

Thanks for all the tips guys, sounds like I really need to get some of the red stopper beads.

Today I was fishing north arm for a bit and when I went to pull my gear to check for weeds on of the clips popped off the cable and came up with the fishing line. And yes, they were sliding a bit.

I use the scotty "the snapper" type clips. Maybe I need to set them a little closer to the lip with braid. I've been running steel cable for years and never had any issues.

I'm sure it's just a learning curve. I did find it super easy to re-spool and tie the new terminal kit without having to use pliers like steel.

Cheers

I bought some rigs from PNT that are made up of 20' of tuna cord that attaches to the end of the braid. The tuna cord is quite thick so regular clips work great on it. I have noticed some extra drag but I'm running 15's all the time and it is not a big issue.

i'm gettin fed up with the red stops, always movin the buggers around switchin from sockeye gear to spring gear. i'm going to add 30-40' of wire to the end of my braid, and when my braid gets old i'm going back to wire.

Ferret: are you talking about attaching and removing red clips so you can stack on braid? If you find that a hassle then just get Scotty stacker clips. Image below -- the metal clip goes over the braid, then one green clip attaches above it, and the other green clip to your fishing line. It won't slide at all. If you forget to stop the downrigger before the top line, then the green clip hits the downrigger arm and disconnects, and the clip just slides down the braid on the metal clip. So you won't lose that top release clip ever again.

10211973_10211973-t.jpg

The other methods above will work too, but this way seems easiest to me by far.

Ferret...run the system that Sculpin has suggested...got a couple lodges running the same system with power pro & the tuna cord...... system has worked very well for them...:)

i'm gettin fed up with the red stops, always movin the buggers around switchin from sockeye gear to spring gear. i'm going to add 30-40' of wire to the end of my braid, and when my braid gets old i'm going back to wire.

do you double up the red stoppers ?
i've had no problem when running 2 of them back to back.

'cohochinook', is it the scotty braid you have or power pro? What line test?
I've been watching this thread along with others in the past and from my own experience have concluded that those with the scotty 250# stuff are able to use the braid exactly like cable but those like myself using 150# power pro have to devise different means to stack due to the thinner quality of the line. The red clips and such were designed for scotty's thicker line.

Ferret: are you talking about attaching and removing red clips so you can stack on braid? If you find that a hassle then just get Scotty stacker clips. Image below -- the metal clip goes over the braid, then one green clip attaches above it, and the other green clip to your fishing line. It won't slide at all. If you forget to stop the downrigger before the top line, then the green clip hits the downrigger arm and disconnects, and the clip just slides down the braid on the metal clip. So you won't lose that top release clip ever again.

10211973_10211973-t.jpg

The other methods above will work too, but this way seems easiest to me by far.

What's the trick for lowering the downrigger with the stacker clip attached? Or do you need to take it off every time you check the bottom rod?

What's the trick for lowering the downrigger with the stacker clip attached? Or do you need to take it off every time you check the bottom rod?

Not necessarily....you may want to so as to avoid tangling (depending where you have your bottom clip...but I didn't find tangling too bad even when both were on the main rigger line...not one on the ball etc.) when it gets to the second clip. But you see the little metal clip....it will just stay attached to the line, yet it is plenty loose enough to slide freely. Basically you'll have a metal ring/clip attached to your line with two power grip clips....at two different lengths of line just drifting behind; assuming you've popped your top mainline from the clip and the clip on the braid has popped.

big1176_PGP_Stacker.gif

Just imagine looking at this picture below.....if the top grip which keeps your line from sliding up pops on the pulley or even just by you, it will just dangle behind and once your ball/snubber etc is up to the surface the metal clip will just be "at the ball" or your other bottom clip. I have a buddy who runs these whether he is stacking or not and to be honest...I think they are very slick and it eliminates for the most part losing clips.

PGRIP_stacker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back