sounder/gps chart plotter

You're going to get as many different opinions as posts.

I would say its hard to be a lowrance elite 7 hdi gold.

Decent size screen. Comes with navionics gold card. Kind of a one stop shop. Ive always loved lowrance but the new humminbird units are worth looking into I think.

My 2¢

go see Mike at the Harbor Chandler in Nanaimo and ask him that question,
you may be surprised what you leave the store with:)

Any one have any word on where Mike is now working? I was at HC on Saturday and Denise was too busy with a service call to ask the question.

go see Mike at the Harbor Chandler in Nanaimo and ask him that question,
you may be surprised what you leave the store with:)

Mike is doing his own installs
hence why he's no longer at HC

HDS gen 2 or look at the raymarine 7" chirp dragonfly suppose to be a good unit

I'm surprised it has not been mentioned, Raymarine Dragonfly7, $799MRSP, Includes Nav Gold Charts, 50 Chanel GPS, Transducer, and Downvision.

Easy to install, good mounting system, and 7" screen for under $1000

If you call all westmarine stores in your area, you might get lucky, and get a 5 for really cheap, <400

Was at westmarine online hds5 475.00 last year. Then I got a call and the online store arranged same price direct from the store, just go down and pick it up, saved the shipping.

I thought the dragonfly has no nmea networking capability at all. It seems like a great unit, but without the ability to do DSC with the radio it was out of consideration for me. I picked up one of the clearance elite7 HDI units from west marine. So far I like the screen and capability, but it does take forever to change zoom levels... Hoping a software update with fix that.

Remember there are two NMEA standards, 0183 and 2000. The latter is full networking system we use to display engine data etc, whereas 0183 is simple serial data transfer, essentially RS 232. It uses a pair of wires for transmit and a pair for receive. This is what is used to send/receive lat and long between radio and GPS. So check if Dragonfly has these additional pairs on its power cable. No NMEA 2000 doesnt necessarily mean you cant set up your DSC equipped radio.

Back