Sooke October1st

yammy5

Went out this morning and dropped the coho gear off Secretary and trolled straight out. Little chop, westerly breeze and not many boats! It was strange not to see the usual crowds. We were immediatly into shakers and had to keep cleaning the gear. Lost a couple good ones and got a couple in the boat and then at 11:00am they really started biting in about 580feet of water - had a triple header with a 10lb'r and a 12lb'r and lost the third. Had to change spots after an 900lb sea lion started following the boat ripping off every fish we hooked. It actually grabbed a shaker we must have been dragging for a while at 65ft and popped the clip with line just screaming off the reel. At first I thought we were into a huge spring but we quickly figured out it was the sea lion. I'm missing some skin on my left hand from trying to slow him down. Anyway, we ended up landing 14 or 15 coho and kept 8, with the biggest at 12lbs and four around 8 to 10lbs. Spoons were hot and hootchies got a couple both at 45 to 75 feet on the riggers. Lots of fun!

we got skunked in the middle of the day on Sep 29th just by beechy head. Not even a shaker. Where do all these shakers come from anyhow? Where are they going? A few days earlier we got several coho by going out
like you did, not as big as the ones you got...

Chums coming soon?

And would it be better to fish the 'leee' side of secretary ie: otter point side, if the tide was ebbing for example? I guess it's better to fish a flooding tide anyhow.

Oh, another thing. Had to jig around aldrige point becuase I had
an asian friend on board :) they all like rockfish better. I don't like to catch them becuase they take so long to grow but anyways, we got one in about 60 feet of water and it was VERY red. But was it a red snapper?

cu
Michael

Back