Sonora Resort in July

Hey Twister:

There is a lot of good information here. Looking at the Sonora Island website, the prices they charge are quite premium, more than most of us here would pay. Of course I live here and can get there in an hour in my boat.

$850 for a Floatplane or Helicopter from Vancouver per person, Water Taxi from Campbell River $318 RT.

If you want a true BC experience, Campbell River is the best jumping off point for a holiday in these parts not Vancouver. Vancouver Island is accessed by BC Ferries from Vancouver roundtrip for two with a vehicle is about $150. It takes about a bit more than 3 hours once the ferry sails and you drive to Campbell River. Pacific Coastal and Central Mountain Air (Air Canada Connector) fly here regulary from Vancouver. A regular Water Taxi from Campbell River to Sonora is $70 one way. Check here http://www.discoverylaunch.com/inde...oor stuff if she does not want to go fishing.

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

"By basing out of Campbell River you can easily rent a car and access the West Coast Coast of Vancouver Island, places like Tofino, Ucluelet can offer the wife something other than fishing, but you can also get a Day Charter for about the price of the airfare they want to fly from Vancouver to Sonora. With a rental vehicle and some grit you can also access places like Kyuquot (Walters Cove) (or at least to where you can catch a water taxi). Port Hardy is another option and there are a few guides on here that regularly post.

For wife pleasing appeal, I'd say a side fishing trip to Tofino or Ucluelet as Long Beach is a world class attraction as well as the spectacular drive through Cathedral Grove. There is plenty of luxury accomodation, artsy and outdoor stuff if she does not want to go fishing."

I agree! :)

There is also Dent Island Lodge just around the corner from Sonora. Dent is not quite as nice but still a quality place (hot tub, sauna, nice cabins and great food). On a budget there is Morgans Landing. All have websites. More local guides at Sonora than Dent. If you can, stay away from dates around the large tides of the month - fishing is usually a little slower and a little harder on the nerves for friends or family not used to running the rapids in big tides.

Guys
this is a fantastic help I genuinely appreciate! I thought we had set our minds on Sonera but we plan to have a really good dig around and look into all these options. Its also been helpfull to work out options of how to get there- we hadn't even considered driving Vancouver Island. The option promoted by Sonera is charter heli/ float planes - though fantastic and luxurious they cost as much as economy flights from UK!! so well worth foraging around online!!!Wickaninnish Inn looks tempting - accepting the weather aspects- and I like the thought of taking 5 hrs and driving to Tofino and then Campbell River.
I wish Guernsey was known by reputation of our fishing rather than our cows!! we have got some of the biggest tides in the world - up to 9 1/2 metres on a big spring- that makes boating interesting at times. so much so that I stay with shore fishing locally in the sea - its safer for me- not to be trusted driving a boat!!
many thanks for all the help and advise once again- will let you know what we decide and send a report on the outcome

jonny

I wouldn't worry about the weather aspects on the West Coast - no one can control it! But, it is usually good well through July. If your timing does hit a storm they will fish the protected waters or cancel. Plus, storm watching is very popular!

But, let me throw this in the mix? Fly directly in Victoria, spending your fist night at the Empress Hotel: http://www.fairmont.com/Empress?cm_...P - Empress - Canada-_-google-_-empress+hotel and afternoon "Tea" shouldn't be missed. Victoria is a beautiful city and well worth the visit. Butchart Gardens: http://www.victoriabc.ca/victoria/butchartgardens.htm is also worth a stop!

Then drive to The Wickaninnish Inn (4/5 hour drive) for 2 nights, charter 2 morning fishing trips with Island West Resort. This will allow the afternoons to explore Longbeach and Tofino.

thanks Charlie for your help, once again.
we plan to spend a few nights in Victoria - Fairmont Empress and visit the gardens

jonny

quote:Originally posted by twister

we plan to spend a few nights in Victoria - Fairmont Empress and visit the gardens

jonny

Good choice!
If I can be of any futher help, or if you have any questions let me know. Have a nice trip...

Hey Charlie-- Good job!! But when did the Chamber of Commerce hire an alien?? :D:D:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

jonny

Another hotel on your way up towards Campbell River or Tofino is the Aerie Resort (Relais et Chateau) in the Malahat, very nice and not as touristy as the Empress. An activity that may be available from Sonora or Campbell River is Grizzly Bear viewing up Knight Inlet, but I'm not sure of the timing.

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon

jonny

Another hotel on your way up towards Campbell River or Tofino is the Aerie Resort (Relais et Chateau) in the Malahat, very nice and not as touristy as the Empress. An activity that may be available from Sonora or Campbell River is Grizzly Bear viewing up Knight Inlet, but I'm not sure of the timing.

yes, for sure - if you have money and are going to be down here, Aerie pretty much most exclusive joint on the island.

http://www.aerie.ca/web/

quote:Originally posted by Copper Moon
quote:

The Aerie Resort is a 5 Star. I haven't stayed there, but it is on my list of places to visit! :)

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Hey Charlie-- Good job!! But when did the Chamber of Commerce hire an alien?? :D:D:D
20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Is there an opening?
My wife things I spend more time up there than I do here at home! :D:D

DSC01311-1-1.jpg

30 foot Boston Whaler! Just couldn't resist! :)

Boy... you just busted one of my bubbles!

Hi Charlie, (looked for a p.m. address but n/a)

Took my wife there last june for our 25th anniversary
it's very nice, but caters to the rich , very stuffy.
restaurant meals average $40-50 entree, not enough food on a plate to feed your cat !!
wine list was an encylopedia with not much less than $80 for local.
one night + dinner , was about $500.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Boy... you just busted one of my bubbles!

Hi Charlie, (looked for a p.m. address but n/a)

Took my wife there last june for our 25th anniversary
it's very nice, but caters to the rich , very stuffy.
restaurant meals average $40-50 entree, not enough food on a plate to feed your cat !!
wine list was an encylopedia with not much less than $80 for local.
one night + dinner , was about $500.

Aren't small servings the norm anyway for high end dining (its about the palate, not the stomach!)? We aren't talking Boston Pizza here! I went there a few years back for lunch and everything was exceptional - creme brule was insane. I think that is just the point being made with Aerie - if you are high end wealth and want to be treated like royalty, this would be a place to go for sure. Seems surprising they go from best resort in canada in 2007, best resort in North American 2006, to just 'average' 2009. I would imagine your experience is not the norm!?!?

quote:25th anniversary one night + dinner , was about $500.

You got off easy rs. I have to take my wife to Maui for our 25th. Several thou plus I'll miss 2 weeks of fishing season.

I have a colleague that used to guide at Sonora. His last few seasons were much more weighted to wildlife viewing than fishing.

Grizzly bear viewing can be arranged through Sonora Lodge, Dent Island Lodge or Morgan's Landing as well. There is grizzly viewing up Bute inlet about 40 min by boat up the inlet in the mouth of the Orford River run by the Homalco Indian Band. Lots of Bears hang around there and they have viewing platforms. Their website is currently down but here's the link.

http://www.bearsofbute.com/

Very nice place to take one's wife for an anniversary as I did as well. I've eaten there a few times and would agree that you won't put on much weight. The wine list and menu are a bit pricey, but I was looking for something special and found it. There is a view down the Malahat towards Port Angeles(?). I thought it was the most nicely decorated hotel I had ever been in. Can't comment on the other guests, we just enjoyed our experience. It has won a number of very distinguished awards in the past - conde naste, travel & leisure I think.
I know there has been staff changes since I was there last, so checking out recent reviews would be wise.

Thanks guys
think we'll probably stick with Sonora thanks!
I've just had a really helpfull quote from them (Sonora) which make things realistic.We also plan to take a trip around the island as well.
If folk are one tenth as helpfull as you have all been we are in for the trip of a lifetime!!

jonny