SOCKEYE gear and techniques

Thick hooks. Not big. Thick. Thin hooks rip mouth easier. My landing ration improved dramatically with hook selection.
Easy to catch. Harder to land. Surfing (swimming) into net works. If net is full with other fish I surf right into boat. Don’t try playing beside boat. Keep them moving.
Early is also key. Generally catch more in one direction than other. Meat fishery. Can’t wait!

Interesting read... I remember Sockeye fishing in PA 30 years ago and I recall tandom hooks being the norm, fast forward years later and partaking in the Osoyoos fishery and single hook being required. As per others suggestions single 1/0 or 2/0 single hooks and yes they caught fish but we missed allot and our loss rate was 50% or more. Getting kinda miffed about repeated missed fish on a tough day I switched one of my leaders to a 6/0 Owner, long story short, switched everything to 6/0 tubbed out in short order and my loss rate has been excellent since. I know most of this info was irrelavant but thought I"d share.

Interesting read... I remember Sockeye fishing in PA 30 years ago and I recall tandom hooks being the norm, fast forward years later and partaking in the Osoyoos fishery and single hook being required. As per others suggestions single 1/0 or 2/0 single hooks and yes they caught fish but we missed allot and our loss rate was 50% or more. Getting kinda miffed about repeated missed fish on a tough day I switched one of my leaders to a 6/0 Owner, long story short, switched everything to 6/0 tubbed out in short order and my loss rate has been excellent since. I know most of this info was irrelavant but thought I"d share.
I run tandems and no net. Get them in and get the gear back down. Those floppy f***ers don't touch the deck.

No real consensus here, which is great, lots of ways to get them in. One thing we do is use 2 smaller nets in the boat for Sockeye, always one clear and ready to scoop a surfer into the boat. Bring them in hot.

Keep your rod low and tip close to the water when you fight sockeye. Almost perpindicular to the boat as you continue to troll. If you keep your rod tip super low it will encourage the sockeye not to jump. Once the fish is beside the boat, lift up and net it. If you have your rod up and muscle them like a chinook, they will go ape **** behind the boat and you will lose more than you land. Seniors, kids and ladies often have the beat landing ratios as they slow things down when bringing them in.

Last edited:
Let’s hope they give us an opening on the Sox this year.
T2
I will post updates of all the tests sets going on in July we will know pretty fast if we are Going to see an opening.

it’s expected to open after august 1 as the mid and late are forcasted to be okay but forecast don’t mean anything.

I’m guessing the total run will probably be on the small side between 5 and 10 million

if 5 million return and depending on the diversion rate inside could be good or could be tarrible and vice versa for the outside.

Also if it’s 5 million it will be super hit and miss here with one tide gone with the next and will be superpave hot and miss if the majority is the mid run as they don’t seem to linger around in salt water to long but they are dime bright.

Last edited:
I will post updates of all the tests sets going on in July we will know pretty fast if we are Going to see an opening.

it’s expected to open after august 1 as the mid and late are forcasted to be okay but forecast don’t mean anything.

I’m guessing the total run will probably be on the small side between 5 and 10 million

if 5 million return and depending on the diversion rate inside could be good or could be tarrible and vice versa for the outside.

Also if it’s 5 million it will be super hit and miss here with one tide gone with the next and will be superpave hot and miss if the majority is the mid run as they don’t seem to linger around in salt water to long but they are dime bright.
Hopefully a decent opening. It is an "on" year for sockeye...

Curious to hear from guys that fish spoons and what they re using...also from the guys that stack rods and dummer flashers on what the appropriate distances back for each and how far vertically between to avoid tangles..
This is 30 years of history from China Creek/Alberni Inlet, but in the 'olden days' when we fished the 'blue roof' below Ten Mile for Henderson fish, a 3" Coyote 'Halloween' with an additional 1/16" stripe of yellow/gold scale vinyl tape down the middle was killer. Also, when we started fishing there in the very early 90's, one of the 'oldster seasonals' turned us on to the original chrome Kripple K with pink scale tape. That thing was so affective we fished one on all 4 rods. Haven't tried either in years. Now it's mostly pink and black Michael's Bait hootchie and 2 black chrome 1/0 hooks. We also clip a Kone Zone Daisy Chain (either Green or Jelly) to each ball, and most important is to vary your speed. Go slow, but change your speed 'slightly' and don't troll in a straight line. Basically weave along like a drunk sailor. With the change of direction there is also a change in speed, so each side is subtly rising and falling. It's sad what DFO has done to that fishery and we've moved to Ukee for our Summer fishing now, but in the 'day' seldom did we fish past 8:00 or 9:00 for our 8 or 12 fish. As to set back and stacking, we never changed our 12 and 15 'pulls' (top and bottom off the wire), but did finally go from 20' between on a side to 15'. For us and the way we fish, seems to work really well. Lastly, if the Sockeye are of any size, we figure on landing approximately 50% of what we hook. Your results may vary, but over a lot of years, that's our history. It's a really fun fishery and they aren't difficult to hook. Just have fun and enjoy the best eating Salmon in the ocean. jc Tuna Maru

Fish as many rods as you can handle, the more gear in the water the better for Sockeye. I usually fish 5 rods, 2 stacked on the side riggers and a single on the back one. I stagger so they are all about 5 feet apart in depth from each other. So maybe early morning 15 and 35 on one stack then 20 and 40 on the other stack and 30 ft on the single out back. Then move them down as the sun comes up or if the shallow rods stop or aren't getting hit. Speed is about the same as Chinook 2.3 -2.5mph. I use only one colour pattern for flashers...colour wise they look exactly like a ocean bright sockeye does in the water...you want your gear to look like a school of sockeye...the school will be attacked to join your gear thinking feeding is going on. Try to always keep at least one line in the water even while playing multiple hook ups it will help keep the school from buggering off. I usually zig and zag around like coho fishing looking for schools. I also use small pink/red hootchies with the glow white head portion...half the tentacles pulled off. Short leaders, 40 pound test. If they are around you should load up quickly. I try and get the 2 fish for each person in under 90 minutes so we can switch back to Chinook fishing. Obviously this year I'll be going for 4 per person if they open before August 1st and then use the remaining time for Chinook catch and release. With the above set up I've had 5 on at a time and landed 5 quite a few times. I remember a boat beside me asking how many I had about 15 minutes into a trip. I held up 3 fingers. Right away rods started getting hit and it was 5 on at once...10 minutes later we landed the 5th one and I looked up and the same boat was still right beside me...I held up 8 fingers lol
Is your trolling speed based on fishing Fraser River sox? Haven’t fished the Fraser ones at the river mouth so don’t know their patterns there.

I find with the Alberni ones I have to fish much slower than springs. All the normal gear and crazy techniques but going slower seems to work better for me.

Yes, Fraser stocks in JDF Strait....Sooke area.

The only fish I catch going dead slow are Chum...often while I have gear still in the water while playing a coho.

Back