Small boat sunk off Saxe point. 2 people rescued by Pilot boat

Hot-Streak

A friend and I were out hali fishing down near pedder bay. The day started off pretty calm but then the winds came up and got nasty. We pulled anchor and headed back to the Victoria waterfront. On the way we heard a distress call on CH16. Report was of 2 people in the water after their boat had sunk.
I replied right away and gave CG my position and ETA to the location. Waves were pretty rough and I was taking splash on my port side as I tried to run through the chop and seas. Waves were hitting us so hard water was splashing against the top zipper of my soft-top and leaking water into the cabin (which it doesn't usually)
10 minutes out CG updated that the people were somewhere between anchorage A and D off royal roads. I calculated a new course to intercept and updated CG with my ETA.
Near there I updated CG with wind direction and estimated drift. They directed me to go to the middle of the two anchorages. When we arrived near the anchored deep seas we stopped and started looking for the people in the water. Luckily the Pilot boat had come out of Victoria harbour and found the 2 people near the north area of the search.

I was relieved of the SAR task and headed back to harbour. On the way in we passed the Pilot boat, CG rescue boat and cutter as well as seeing the sunken boat's bow sticking out of the water.

A few lessons learned to pass on
1) Always wear a life jacket
2) Always know what general area you are and have a VHF radio to be able to call for help but know where to tell them you are at
3) Keep an eye on the weather and don't risk it if you have a gut feeling about things. There will always be another day to fish.

You will notice in the picture between the pilot boat and the orange CG rescue boat is the bow of the boat that sunk. Its white with a black painted bottom.

I am glad 2 people got to go home to their families yesterday and thank the good work of the Pilot boat crew, CG for their efforts.

Attachments

• A14CEEC1-4A5D-4ABB-A25A-6B9B38296711.jpeg
    A14CEEC1-4A5D-4ABB-A25A-6B9B38296711.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 289
This a lesson we should all pay attention too , the weather in spring and fall can come quick and throw in some current in other direction makes it worse , Ive always said it watch the clouds and changes please dont stay that extra 15 mins if you see it changing GET OUT... a fish really isnt worth your life..

This a lesson we should all pay attention too , the weather in spring and fall can come quick and throw in some current in other direction makes it worse , Ive always said it watch the clouds and changes please dont stay that extra 15 mins if you see it changing GET OUT... a fish really isnt worth your life..
Yes, watching the clouds is important

Great SAR work! Did they do the call before they sank or did they have a hand held?

Reminds me I need to put my name on my Hali anchor so if I have to leave In bad weather, a friendly Samaritan will be able to return it.
I only heard the call from CG when it went out from RCC. My guess is they called before it sunk. If they had a hand held I would have expected more exact position info.
I usually fish with a hand held on my life jacket as well as the one in my boat.

X2 . Thanks for doing your part.
No need for thanks. There weren't a lot of boats out there because of the waves/winds but we happened to be in the area.

I assume as boaters we all should help each other in a life and death situation. Its the decent thing to do. I'm also trained to assist in SAR from my trade in the Navy so it actually wasn't hard for me to integrate into the SAR organization. My navigation skills allowed me to figure out the best course of action as well as give accurate updates/ETA/drift assessments....

Another way you can think of it is you are getting good return on your tax dollars/investment in my training all these years hahaha

Whiskey " Mare's tail" clouds mean wind is coming. Be cautious when ok conditions in a light wind can change to hell when the tide current changes directions in specific areas. For example, make sure your on the right side of Bechy Hd before things stack up. I was thankful for that a couple of weekends ago.

Why did the boat sink? Older boat without flotation?

Any info on a VHF course?

What do you look for in the clouds?
Watch which direction and how fast there when you get out if you se it increasing time to go. it will come.
A few years back in 2018 about aug 20th a forecast for wind was to come... we went out of muir creek wind was a but east... no problem flat calm going out told my clients supposed to get really crap today . I watched as the clouds stalled then started westerly hhmmmm then a bit of a roll off muir said to my guys ok time to go ...ok if you think so ... Ill never forget a fellow guide saying to me "scared of a little roll" I replied NOPE but I have been around and in 30 mins its gonna be bad ... So here we are cleaning fish at the marina and all of a sudden the tree above sooke marina are bent over, my clients said hey look and the fleet is all in a row coming back in . One guy says WOW did that ever come up fast I said NO it didnt you were NOT paying attention... the warning signs were all there.
This was the same storm that hit renny with a huge vengeance. and a boat almost sunk cause my friend was on it!!! he hasnt gone back to renny and never will...
Point is and we all have done it and we have all said it ok we will go in soon in 30 mins a fish isnt worth it and stuff always happen and goes sideways when you add crap weather

Watch which direction and how fast there when you get out if you se it increasing time to go. it will come.
A few years back in 2018 about aug 20th a forecast for wind was to come... we went out of muir creek wind was a but east... no problem flat calm going out told my clients supposed to get really crap today . I watched as the clouds stalled then started westerly hhmmmm then a bit of a roll off muir said to my guys ok time to go ...ok if you think so ... Ill never forget a fellow guide saying to me "scared of a little roll" I replied NOPE but I have been around and in 30 mins its gonna be bad ... So here we are cleaning fish at the marina and all of a sudden the tree above sooke marina are bent over, my clients said hey look and the fleet is all in a row coming back in . One guy says WOW did that ever come up fast I said NO it didnt you were NOT paying attention... the warning signs were all there.
This was the same storm that hit renny with a huge vengeance. and a boat almost sunk cause my friend was on it!!! he hasnt gone back to renny and never will...
Point is and we all have done it and we have all said it ok we will go in soon in 30 mins a fish isnt worth it and stuff always happen and goes sideways when you add crap weather

That spot between Muir and race is the worst spot on the inside I've ever seen when it starts blowing west and the current is roaring. Yuk. Not nice

Back