Sleepless in Sooke

otter

Finally calm waters. Hit Secretary late afternoon. 22lb netted on anchovy,south tip of Secretary. Circled for the 2nd one and noticed some white exhaust of the Yamaha 90, too strong tide flow for the kicker. Anyhow alarm buzzer came on. Kickered back to the marina.Cowling was fairly hot. At the marina started up, normal conditions/got home and fresh water flushed in a barrel for 15-20 min.Normal,good flow, cool cowling.???? At the time didnt note any crap blockage. Wont be able to sleep tonight wondering.

Hope all turns out OK otter, I'm sure you had a freak crap blockage.

No time for a break now, the slabs are packed in Sooke right now. Took tomorrow off to get more...good luck mate.

Your impeller which cools things off may be up to keeping things cool under normal running conditions but almost idleing the motor and anything less then a perfect impeller and it won't be able to keep things cool enough.

Just a thought!
Cheers ME

had a similar problem with my 9.9....white exhaust, hot cowling...ended up being a seized thermostat...i guess some have a water pump as well as an impellar and that fried too...unless sherwood just made it up to rip me off

siwash

otter, if it happens again i would suspect you may
have a cracked head gasket, and that white smoke
is actually steam.
mine had a salt build up in the discharge tube
and same problem, although i was not getting a good
tell-tale flo.

scott

If you have a water getting into the cylinders the tall tale sign is when you remove the plugs they will be washed clean no residue at all.
Forgot about the thermostat it could be that as well. I can get you some direct answers if you call me at work with more details of make model etc. toll free 1-888-393-6464 after 10 am today as I work in the marine industry and would be happy to help in anyway I can. We have 2 outboard and 3 inboard/outboard mechanics where I work so I can get some answers from them.

Cheers Kev

Fished Sooke on Friday, Sat, & Sunday. Boated a couple up to 25 lbs. and lost a real nice 30's. All off Secretary on anchovies.

Any halibut left in the sooke area?

Ill be out tommorow in my new ride hope to see some of you out there im on 72.ill post what I see and hear.

Good luck Wolf

Did Beechey Head and Bedfords crack of dawn. No luck. <50 boats on the water. No one else seemed to be doing anything else either.
One guy was yelling something in Polish or Croatian. "Tyee", "40lbs", "Trap" is all I could make out so maybe he saw something.
Took off before noon. Maybe the flood tide would have been better.

That was George! His buddy caught it. It was 34 lbs on the scale at cheanuh.

Slow day today... Lots of top rods out with no fish as well.

Wolf's new ride was out for a Sneak Peak. I fished from 0630-1230 with only one 8 - 10 pounder that i released to grow some more.[^]
I hope it picks up again for the JDF on the weekend!

Ditto to what maddog said very slow day but there was lots of bait on the sounder down to 90 ft out again tommorow must practise!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

A bit of a bite at Otter this evening. Only a couple of boats.(saw a few caught). We landed an 18 and lost another...about 7:00 ish.

Sea trials conducted this evening in Sooke. Good news is motor ran fine,must have been crap blockage. Bad news is no fish, dead out there. Saw no one else hooking up either. Lots of bait showing.

Well its offical the new boat has been christened (no not that way) got the first fish in yesterday not alot of fish out there but like otter said tons of bait out there otter, trap and sec. were the places I hit and saw bait at every spot down deep though as far as 110 feet, ill be out for the JDF so ill report what i see on monday for all of you in the derby wish you all good luck and hope we dont loose any to those damn seals

Good luck Wolf

Hi all my son got back from sooke on tues.nothing huge, mostly in the 20's. everyone got their limits.all on choves.

Back