Shore fishing at Elk/Beaver Lake

P

PaulC

Hey,

I use to do a lot of bottom fishing at the break water when I was younger but havnt done any lake fishing. I live farily close to elk/beaver lake and I would like to get into that.

Where are some good spots to do some shore fishing on the lake and what kind of lures and techniques I should be using. I want to get a licence and a couple lures for me to use!

Paul

I'm too lazy to type. But these are some tips from other Elk lake threads......
quote:Next up would be Prospect with good trout fishing for fish 12" to 20", but little shore access.

And then not far from there is Elk Lake on the highway, larger fish again and there is access from shore along the highway and a fishing wharf on the back side of the lake.

Your standard leetches and damsels will work in all these lakes.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6347
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6269

Awsome... But im not to sure what kind of lures to use. There was some info on the threads you gave me but i dont know much at all about fresh water fishing at all.

Thanks paul

Well what are you looking for?
Trout will take small spinners (Mepps, Blue Foxes, etc) used with a basic spinning rod. Or you can use spinning tackle and use various bobber set ups with worms and what-not. Or fish off of bottom with a slip weight and a floating egg.
Bass will hit small spinners as well. But you can use long casting crankbaits on them (Rapala floating minnow, Storm subwarts etc) Bigger trout will hit these too.
I know for a fact that if you walked along the trails by Beaver lake and threw a topwater popper or buzzbait you'd get hit by many bass.
Beaver and it's thick slime and weeds make fishing hard, hence the topwater tactics.

Awsome. I picked up my licence and did a little bit of fishin today with the powerbait eggs floatin from the bottom about 3 feet. No luck today. I didnt stick around long. Ill try that on my next day off again. Apparently ppl catch a lot of trout using that technique. Sounds like if I picked up a decent spinner bait aswell I could change things up and catch trout or bass. Anyone have link to what a decent spinner bait looks like or what should I look for when I buy one. When I was at island outfitters I looked at some but most seem pretty big.

Thanks for the great answers!

Ohyea also, I was fishin on the dock across from the highway. Using the powerbait eggs floating from the bottom. Where are some other good spots I could try that? Like would doin that off the highway side produce any results?

I see people fishing from shore near the culvert pipe by the weigh scale on Pat Bay hwy. Also, if you park at the Brookleigh road boat launch and walk to the East up the path, you will come across a spot where there's a willow tree and a park bench. I've seen people have luck from shore from there too using the powerbait floating off the bottom method.

Good luck

Well tried a bit again tonight but didnt really feel anything at all. Was out for about an hour. When are good times to go and also the way I had my line hooked up was weights about 3 feet up then the powerbait eggs on the bottom. I remember when i use to fish at the break water for bottom fish we use to use the weight at the bottom and tie the hook about 2-3 feet up and the hook was on a string with acuple inches of play. This set up seem to work really well there. Im goin to try it nxt time I go out what do you guys reccomend?

Back