Shimano TR 1000 Lever Drag 'Charter Special' reels

C

Carl Z

2x Shimano TR 1000 Lever Drag 'Charter Special' reels.
The slickest units ever developed for Downriggng.
Stainless steel gears and three ball bearings provide smooth, efficient operation and resistance to corrosion.
Titanium lever drag lets you adjust proper tension during the fight with just the touch of your thumb.
Both NIB never used.
Retail for $220 now $160/ea-both for $300.
Cash only firm.
carlz@canada.com

Still tring to sell those!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys kill me........lololol
no really...I'm still laughing...with you, not at you...
I have absolutely no opinions on lever drags, never used them, but I do enjoy the banter that will surely follow, ding!
Go get em C.S.
Seriously ...I would be curious to know when you're playing a fish, would you adjust the drag while they're running...and how much until the line snaps or can you actually back off before it's too late?
Or would you not adjust once a fish is on?
I would be afraid of giving one of these to novices I think.

boc

Oh, Carl Z, I own some clumsy Islander's but they weren't that cheap.
Hope you get your price. Good deal for someone

boc

To answer Blue Orca:I had the delight(NOT!) of using a couple of Penn level winds this summer when a buddy asked me to show him how to salmon fish a boat that he had just bought. the reels had come with the boat. I was horrified when I realized that the drag was practically all or nothing. We fortunately caught a couple of teenagers before hooking one of any size, so I had a chance to figure out what to do. I had them set light, let the fish run and when it stopped running I turned the drag up a little, then gave an immediate tug to make sure the drag wasn't on full, then put a bit more on,etc. My buddy didn't seem to notice me hanging over his shoulder while he played the fish, but I was nervous as a cat. We eventually got the fish in (45 lbs)but i didn't enjoy my one and only experience with level winds. My friend was talking about a gps that he was saving for, and I told him to forget the gps until he bought some new reels. These were old Penn's and I'm not suggesting that the reels for sale here are in the same junk status category.

We call them chowder specials not charter specials there good for one reason AMERICANS because they cant figure out how to use a good mooching reel so all they have to do is reel like your grinding coffee LOL LOL.The main problem with them from experience is the drags burn out quickly from being used on the downriggers and you have to have them "tuned"up. sorry carl z.
Now on the river different story would'nt go with out my baitcaster for steelies love it but there used for what they are designed for.
Wolf

Anything to help a fellow angler out I say...
Carl, can you answer my questions on whether you adjust during or preset before the fish is on..
I understand fully what they do, but can you actually feel when your tension is too much on a run....also as the fish runs and more line is released (thereby decreasing the overall diameter of the line left on) doesn't tension automatically get greater?
On my mooching reels, I very rarely adjust them once they're set, and absoulutely never adjust when a fish is running.(that's what my left hand is for)
Just askin....

boc

B-a-a-a-a-a-h?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

B-a-a-a-a-a-h?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

I've got to agree with Carl Z on the Penn riggers. I've never owned any, but used them several times on my brother's boat, and they ARE very smooth and easy to use. (For manuals!)
Tom

I've got to agree with Carl Z on the Penn riggers. I've never owned any, but used them several times on my brother's boat, and they ARE very smooth and easy to use. (For manuals!)
Tom

I used to guide many years ago for a total of 14 years (probably put in over 10,000 hours of guided time). I have used Penn's, Ambassadeur's, Shimano Triton 100GT and 200GT's, Shimano single action 2000GT's and Shimano Lever drags. I like the old Ambassadeur's before they were purchased by Abu Garcia. I find level wind reels require a fair amount of maintenance for the drags to work well (especially if they get wet and you put alot of hours on them). The drags on the lever action Shimano reels seem better than the Tritons and maybe require less maintenance than the Ambassadeur's. If I were to use a level wind reel for salmon fishing I would choose Ambassadeur as I like the feel and they seem light in weight. For me I don't find the lever that much of an advantage to choose them over a star drag even for downrigger fishing. My favorite package for downrigging is a 10 & 1/2 ft Sage rod with an Islander single action. I still enjoy catching fish on a level wind, although I find I enjoy fish running off a single action reel much more.

I used to guide many years ago for a total of 14 years (probably put in over 10,000 hours of guided time). I have used Penn's, Ambassadeur's, Shimano Triton 100GT and 200GT's, Shimano single action 2000GT's and Shimano Lever drags. I like the old Ambassadeur's before they were purchased by Abu Garcia. I find level wind reels require a fair amount of maintenance for the drags to work well (especially if they get wet and you put alot of hours on them). The drags on the lever action Shimano reels seem better than the Tritons and maybe require less maintenance than the Ambassadeur's. If I were to use a level wind reel for salmon fishing I would choose Ambassadeur as I like the feel and they seem light in weight. For me I don't find the lever that much of an advantage to choose them over a star drag even for downrigger fishing. My favorite package for downrigging is a 10 & 1/2 ft Sage rod with an Islander single action. I still enjoy catching fish on a level wind, although I find I enjoy fish running off a single action reel much more.

Back