Setting the hook on a sturgeon

One thing you will see (IIRC) is the many recommendations on fighting the fish as fast as you can....if you take a rest, pass the rod off as theses amazing fish re coop their energy fast and the last thing we want to do is stress the fish!

Any questions, ask away as there are some good rods on here who do fish them!

I have been reading through the thread and was wondering if there is someone local that still makes the swivel attachment for the orca rod holder? Seems like a better option than a drift sock.

I have been reading through the thread and was wondering if there is someone local that still makes the swivel attachment for the orca rod holder? Seems like a better option than a drift sock.

There is one still doing it....will try to find contact info......what he did to them was in my mind, game changing!

There is one still doing it....will try to find contact info......what he did to them was in my mind, game changing!
That would be great. Do you have any pictures of the swivel I would be interested to see what it looks like. Thanks

I have been working through the sturgeon thread making notes. Correct me if I am wrong but this is the information I have uncovered about bait so far.

Bait
-hook should protrude, match what is in the river at the time.

-eulachon: clip fins, remove tail, hook through head, half hitched up body, head removed in fresh, fresher is better. Use spring and summer.

-salmon belly: fresh is best, can use spider wire to hold on line. Use July to October

-pike minnow: assume same procedure to tie to line as eulachon. during high water

-dew worms: can tie up in roe bags or nylons, poke holes with hook to release scent, can use buzz bomb stoppers to hold bag on line. Can tie worms directly to hook with spider wire trail a few behind worms behind hook. During high water.

-roe: tie in bags or nylons, double up to prevent coarse fish from tearing bag. Use uncured. Can poke holes to release scent. Use buzz bomb stoppers to hold bag on line. Can use all year

-eel: cut in chunks, will last a while. Can use all year one of the more consistent baits.

-Hooking up a salmon head, female heads the best, run your 9/0 or 10/0 hook up through the bottom jaw, through the snout and then up to the back of the head where it was cut off, run the hook through the meaty/bone section at the top of the leaving the hook and shank exposed. Fish pink heads/guts/roe below any bar that guys are catching them and cleaning their fish before they head home. Best when salmon in the river.

-stink bait: find a floater, put in a bucket for a few days, can hook on line, if to mushy tie up in nylons or roe bags. Use when dead salmon in river or when nothing else works

Thoughts or suggestions?

Back