Securing Kicker???

rmj002

Not making light of a some stealing a kicker or anything for that matter.
Thoughts on the best way to secure a Kicker?
If you pic's that would be great.
I know if they want it bad enough they will get it.

MJ

I just asked the same thing

masterlock from can tire 24.00 in the marine section
line up kicker knobs slide it on ,seems like a no brainer

although im worried I may never get it off

gives me piece of mind while she sits a cheanuh .

tubbed

I made the "masterlock/line-up the handles" mistake once and my kicker found its way to the bottom of Alberni Inlet. It was 20 years ago and we were bucking following seas, and the "u-shaped" coupling worked upward and the motor was lost. I had the handles very, very tight and the masterlock holding them in the tight possition. Oh well. Do it right and bolt it on, and better yet, find a SS bolt a head that is hard to take off by the common theif. good luck. DAJ

Bolt the kicker to your plate with extra long bolts. Add another bolt then WELD it on! Works well and makes everything very secure when bouncing out to Big Bank.

I have a MasterLock on the transom levers, a locking nut bolting it on the transom and a padlock and chain through the swim platform. No problems as of yet.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Bolt through your bracket which will ensure that it can not come loose from the boat movement and then weld the nut to the bolt to ensure that no dumb butt can rip you off. (unless they carry around a torch)

I find as long as you make them work for it they usually loose interest and move on to an easier target.

boat-2.jpg

You can also bolt it through with an Allen Keyed stainless cap screw, then fill the allen head epoxy. It helps slow them down, but you can still drill it out and remove it if you have to.
If they really want it, they're going to get it, no matter what you do.

I bolt on to the transom and use a lock that covers the kicker knobs. Bolting on also prevents the kicker from loosing off particularly when the boat is pounding in heavy seas.

When it really comes down to it if they want it they will steal anything!!!!!!! many years ago had a kicker lifted off me they took the time to take the kicker bracket, take off the cables and then cut the wires all for a 10 yrs old kicker??????

Just last week had some kids apperently put there hand inside as I had the window too low take the change out of the ash tray took my USB stick which is pluged into my player and a vile with about 10 T-3 in it but left other stuff???????
trust me would love to get my hands on the little buggers ....

We can only do so much just make sure you have insurance to cover things as it will happen.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yeah I remember 1 trip out of East Sooke. Came back after a day on the points, to find the handle on Wally's trailer jack bent at a crazy angle. Rendering it useless. Guess U get what U pay for!?

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

You can also bolt it through with an Allen Keyed stainless cap screw, then fill the allen head epoxy. It helps slow them down, but you can still drill it out and remove it if you have to.

Anyone know where to get this type of bolt in Victoria? I've looked at Home Depot, Crappy Tire and Trotac and couldn't find them. I'd like to use them for my kicker and downriggers.

TenMile
<'((((><

I got mine here
Fastener force Rock Bay @ Hillside Avenue, Victoria, BC V8T 1Z1ý - (250) 380-2658
cheers

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

Anyone know where to get this type of bolt in Victoria? I've looked at Home Depot, Crappy Tire and Trotac and couldn't find them. I'd like to use them for my kicker and downriggers.

TenMile
<'((((><

JUST FISHEN'

The topic got me looking at my kicker (which is bolted to the bracket and has a Mastercraft bar across the handles) but, if you are in a high theft area, and if you don't think it is too much trouble, run a chain or bicycle securing cable through the gap between the shaft and the steering pivot post and secure to the trailer.
Not foolproof but one more thing to make it difficult.

I was PO'd with the Mastercrat across the handles. Towed the boat over gravel and once the boat was in the water I noticed the the kicker was loose. I tried to put the key in the lock and the dam thing had siezed shut. No way to put a key in as the saltwater corroded it. Great, now how the heck to you tighten the kicker bolts. I was hanging off the back of the boat with a pair of vice grips and had to hack/break the bar off. Lucky enough that it had curroded enough and still took 45 minutes to break it off. Decided from now on, that I my insurance is much better protection.

Hey Homer: I can feel your frustration.:( After reading your post, I think I'm going to remove mine when I'm fishing and reinsall it when security is an issue. It's still a detterent and insurance Sucks!!;) eman

Back