Seastar

sir-vivor

Anyone bleed a Seastar Hydraulics system Solo, doesnt seem to hard to do solo but if you have failed or succeed, please share.
I know , I know ...two person job but every job I've done solo on my boat always included 2 or more, example , radar arch but I did it solo , 7 years ago and it's still on so gotta think someone did a seastar bleed solo .

No problem! super easy to do your self. I connected a clear tube to both ends of the cylinder and tied them together using a tee. Then run a tube to helm and feed it into a small bucket which you hang above the helm. Connect the helm hose to the bottom of the bucket. fill oil into bucket open one side of the cylinder and start turning the wheel. repeat in other direction. I then left the system for a few hours and did the same again.

No problem! super easy to do your self. I connected a clear tube to both ends of the cylinder and tied them together using a tee. Then run a tube to helm and feed it into a small bucket which you hang above the helm. Connect the helm hose to the bottom of the bucket. fill oil into bucket open one side of the cylinder and start turning the wheel. repeat in other direction. I then left the system for a few hours and did the same again.
Thank Cpt PM
Ya seen a YouTube on that , great
Was your line running back into the bucket from the bleeder, in the feeder fluid or above it slightly
Thanks again

Hey Cap ! After I have opened the one side and start turning do I close it before proceeding to the other side or do I leave it open along with the other side until its clear without bubbles. Or , do you do side , close it off and move to the other side . I'm thinking from your comments I leave them both open and turn wheel in both directions (not to fast lol) until clear without bubbles, but just making sure, Thanks for help !

Just a note , Its funny nothing on the net that says you need at least 52 inch to get the support rod threw the engine bracket or YA GOT TO LIFT THE FRICKEN ENGINE . Lucky for me I think it'll fit threw the boot , if not looks like Sir-Vivor II getting a new 1 inch hole (appr) in the side of the splash well with some fiberglassing to follow , if I want to use it on the Ocean Pro , or just wait for the new engine , which probable will happen .
So BEWARE of this guys , unless you like lifting your engines

Yeah alot of boats, the engine well is a tight fit. A lot of times we have to install the steering cable or cylinder rod while were lifting the engine on the boat.

Spell check checked

Last edited:
Yeah come boats the engine wells are tight fit. A lot of times we have to install the steering cable or cylinder rod while were lifting the engine on the boat.
Wow, big job for sure, hope it will squeeze by so I can try it out on the Ocean Pro to see after 8 years if hydraulic really does rule over cable, I sure it does but still would like to try and probable be June until the new engine comes, if they can locate one, seems everyone wants boats and new engines.

Wow, big job for sure, hope it will squeeze by so I can try it out on the Ocean Pro to see after 8 years if hydraulic really does rule over cable, I sure it does but still would like to try and probable be June until the new engine comes, if they can locate one, seems everyone wants boats and new engines.

Let's put a proper G1 etec on there and call it a day. Done

That's where I was going until Johnson/Evenrude pulled the the plug ;(

I've got a parts warehouse to service BC for decades. They still make parts anyway. You go through a gearcase somehow or need anything its alot easier available than any other engine. Evinrude already stopped making the G1. Not because ther was anything wrong with the G1, they were just raising the bar once again and once again and they always go to far. Electric steering and controls is the new turning point in technology in the marine world. We have not yet standardized or built tried and true system that ultimately works yet. It will be a while. Long story short the seastar steering and the G1 was awsome. Rebuildable also

Took me 4 hours but I got the old cable off and the Seastar Support Rod in place, only had to file down a little of the opening at the boot but it took time, hope the rest is easier, Oh ya the helm hole needs to be cut out a bit to ;) ........ Better me than $168 / hour shop fees to do it. Besides some time I think I enjoy the modifications more than the fishing lol. Bring it on !!

Done !
But might need a bit of hydraulic adjusting in a wk or so and need to zip tie and attach boot back on (glad I remembered to thread the boot or I would have been one pissed off fisherperson ) PS Thanks Ship happens for you help again !

Attachments

• 20210406_170018.jpg
    20210406_170018.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210406_165958.jpg
    20210406_165958.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 67
Tied in , added a hydraulic line protector, like someone told me, a little more protection doesnt hurt ....

Attachments

• 20210412_161139.jpg
    20210412_161139.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 43
Back