Sealing transom penetrations

smp747

Crew Member
I'm working on installing my kicker on my skagit orca and I'm wondering what is the typical procedure for waterproofing transom penetrations?

Epoxy coat? 5200/4200?

I will be drilling two holes for the bulkhead of the seastar hoses and also one for the rigging (fuel line, electrical, and throttle/shifter cables)

Also if anyone can link me to a kit for the rigging that includes a bulkhead and flex hose, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, always

I'm working on installing my kicker on my skagit orca and I'm wondering what is the typical procedure for waterproofing transom penetrations?

Epoxy coat? 5200/4200?

I will be drilling two holes for the bulkhead of the seastar hoses and also one for the rigging (fuel line, electrical, and throttle/shifter cables)

Also if anyone can link me to a kit for the rigging that includes a bulkhead and flex hose, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, always
I've always drilled out slightly larger diameter, epoxy filled, re drilled smaller diameter then sealed with sikaflex291

I've always drilled out slightly larger diameter, epoxy filled, re drilled smaller diameter then sealed with sikaflex291

I mean like larger penetrations, I have to drill 1"ish holes for the hose bulkhead and even larger for the rigging kit.

The bulkheads only seal against the face of the transom (which I will sika) but I'm wondering If there is a good preventive measure to avoid water ingress between the fiberglass inner and outer... such as coat with epoxy or sealant

Oversized the hole and I put a layer of fiber glass on mine. Then seal outside with sika
Are you using a rigging hose or just the transom accordion thing?

Rigging hose with a flange for the fuel/cables and electrical, and the seastar hoses have the bulkhead fittings that bolt onto the transom face

I just use fiberglass resin. Normally tape the outside of the hole small holes couple layers of resin( bulkhead fittings, larger hole layer of glass with the resin. I use chop strand
Plenty of sika flex when installing everything

Last edited:
Back