Sea West boats?

Clipper

I'm in the early stages of looking for a new boat (21-24' walkaround) and was interested in the Sea West units made here on the Island (www.seawestboats.com). I've got a list of the usual suspects (Trophy, Striper, Campion etc.) to check out but these look like solid units and I like to support local businesses whenever possible.

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about these boats? Thanks.

I just about got one last year just about to sign the papers when i found my orca.
Tom's a great guy and does great work i wouldn't hesitate if your looking for a new boat.
Ocean Mist charters has had a 24 for 4 years in renny now and he puts it through the test and it still looks new.

Hi Clipper,
I own a Seawest 24ft 727 Discovery. I'm very happy with it. It has a very large deck for fishing(no tripping over everyone). Lots of storage below deck. Cabin's well laid out, with lots of storage and room for overnighting. It's solid built boat and handles well in rough waters. It's a great all season/weather boat. I talk to as many owners as possible before I purchase my boat. They like the Seawest product and Jenkins Marine Service.

Good Luck,
Cuda:D

Thanks for the input. I've just started my search and still have a ways to go but I also like to get the straight poop from owners. Did a little pricing and they aren't cheap but then you generally get what you pay for. Sure look like nice rigs!

Looks like a knock-off of the Skagit Orca 24xlc.If you like the style perhaps a look down south for a near new one (orca) might be profitable.

Sea West is a Seaport knock off. The hull is an old "Tullycraft" (I believe that was the name if memory is correct) Tom found the old molds and fixed them up for the hull, then added Seasport look-a -like tops to it.

quote:Originally posted by spring fever

Looks like a knock-off of the Skagit Orca 24xlc.If you like the style perhaps a look down south for a near new one (orca) might be profitable.

I looked at a new 22 Std Orca yesterday and that is one nice boat! Unfortunately the price reflects this so maybe a pre-owned from down south would be a good alternative. I'm gonna check that out.

I have a 24 xlc Orca with a 225 yammi on a pod. It has been fished 7 seasons all on the wet coast off winter harbour and Nootka. We fish 3 guys and sleep on the hook. It has never let us down and still looks like new. If you can find one down south at a reasonable price I would grab it. The 225 is just enough hp -when we have on crab &prawn traps on board+ ice and 136 gals of fuel she is all up and I wouldn't take her out in the big water at that weight. Fortunatly all the traps are set before we fish. Gel coat stays good and there are no problems with any thru mounts like downriggers and cleats. There is always a hair line crack on the right side going into the sleeping berth in the liner. That's about it-pretty easy on gas with this set-up considering boat size.

my best friend bought a brand new boat for chartering a few years ago, and when i went with him to pick it up, i was NOT impressed with the quality. Given it was one of the first boats they made, i think the 4th or 5th or something, it had an awful quality of finish. Nice lines, hull, and ride, but the finish was embarrassing. The trays on the gunnels of the deck were not straight, and look like they were cut out with a hack saw, they were uneven and jagged everywhere. The wood trim around the door, the top piece was 1'' longer, overhanging the vertical piece on one side, but flush on the other, and its wasnt square!!

Seems like a good, well made boat, but the quality of finish really caught my attention. Not what i would expect out of a 100k$ boat.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

my best friend bought a brand new boat for chartering a few years ago, and when i went with him to pick it up, i was NOT impressed with the quality. Given it was one of the first boats they made, i think the 4th or 5th or something, it had an awful quality of finish. Nice lines, hull, and ride, but the finish was embarrassing. The trays on the gunnels of the deck were not straight, and look like they were cut out with a hack saw, they were uneven and jagged everywhere. The wood trim around the door, the top piece was 1'' longer, overhanging the vertical piece on one side, but flush on the other, and its wasnt square!!

Seems like a good, well made boat, but the quality of finish really caught my attention. Not what i would expect out of a 100k$ boat.

Are you referring to a Sea West boat or an Orca? Sorry but I'm not quite sure.

In regards to our SeaWest boats they are not made from old tollycraft moulds and to the best of our knowledge all of our customers have been happy with our product. For any additional information and testimonials please contact us.

Sorry Seawest, which hull mould was it from? Tom did tell where the hull came from when production first began. Thought that was the one.

Different story if you go fishing offshore with dudes that get seasick...hehehe...

quote:Originally posted by Cuda

Hi Clipper,
It has a very large deck for fishing(no tripping over everyone).

Cuda:D

JUST FISHEN'

This thread is very old but I'm thinking of purchasing a Sea West, any new comments or info on these boats?

Great boats. have had mine for 4 years and I use it every month of the year. Good safe well made boats with excellent service from Jenkins and they stand behind there boats. Its also nice that they are a custom builder, you can get the lay outs and all the modifications you want, right from the builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back