Scratches in the fiberglass (DOCK RASH)

jarettv

Hey guys, I am hoping I can get some help. I have some scratches on my boat (white gel coat). Its just dock rash, fairly light scratching. Any tips on fixing this would be greatly appreciated or any recommendations on who to bring it to in the Victoria area would be great too.
Thanks!

I see you are in Victoria, hop down to Industrial Plastics across from the old Future Shop Location and get a gel coat repair kit.

Clean the location and get it free of wax. Mix it up with the catalyst, spread/paint it in the damage higher than the base and let it set up and sand down with very fine sandpaper and buff. If you lucky like me (bright white) you will find a color match without having to play with dyes. This is assuming the damage is more than very light scratches. The first time we did this we were amazed how well it works. Can’t even see that it was ever repaired.

PS check the cured color match first to be sure you are happy with it as this is something that is hard to undo once it is done. If your hull color is very hard to match you may want to have a pro do it as color matching seems to be the hard part and there are many shades of white. White is easier than some of the other colors especially if they are faded.

Not uncommon for boats to get dock rash or chips from Halibut anchors and chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me about the anchor and chain nicks...going to make some stainless cover plates for the area I deploy and retrieve from to protect the area.

Back