Salmon return to Maple Ridge rivers in healthy numbers - Maple Ridge New

As one who was in at the start of the rebuilding process for Alouette and Kanaka ---back in the early 80s with the backbreaking work being done by the Alouette River Corrections Facility, and major funding from the Bell-Irving family , the determination of KEEPS and ARMS to forge ahead to improve and protect the salmon and trout runs on these systems after all these years is unbelievable. Is the battle won ? Unfortunately not. Habitat degradation from even such innocuous activities as draining a chlorine ridden hot tub into the storm drains continue to kill rearing fish. And the list goes on. But while I no longer help out, its gratifying to know that 30+ years later , there are many that are still willing to step up and keep pushing for the fish. And there are many other like-minded in BC, Washington and Oregon and even a few in California that quietly keep advocating for salmon and trout in the Northwest and put the waders on to help out. They really deserve more recognition for their work.

As one who was in at the start of the rebuilding process for Alouette and Kanaka ---back in the early 80s with the backbreaking work being done by the Alouette River Corrections Facility, and major funding from the Bell-Irving family , the determination of KEEPS and ARMS to forge ahead to improve and protect the salmon and trout runs on these systems after all these years is unbelievable. Is the battle won ? Unfortunately not. Habitat degradation from even such innocuous activities as draining a chlorine ridden hot tub into the storm drains continue to kill rearing fish. And the list goes on. But while I no longer help out, its gratifying to know that 30+ years later , there are many that are still willing to step up and keep pushing for the fish. And there are many other like-minded in BC, Washington and Oregon and even a few in California that quietly keep advocating for salmon and trout in the Northwest and put the waders on to help out. They really deserve more recognition for their work.
I remember those early days Bryan .. Tom Cadieux, Len Ames, Harold Hiltz. I believe the Alouette was the model for the Centre Creek Correction Facility's mini hatchery.

I remember those early days Bryan .. Tom Cadieux, Len Ames, Harold Hiltz. I believe the Alouette was the model for the Centre Creek Correction Facility's mini hatchery.
Correct Dave. It was actually Tom's boss, Senior Corrections Officer Jim Jose that wanted to develop a meaningful work program for the minimum security inmates . When he got a good idea , he didnt know the meaning of " we have to study it" or "no". His connections with the metal shop at Okalla prison metal shop produced many "Cap Troughs" that were distributed around the volunteers SEP facilities. He was friends with the chief push at the Operating Engineers Training School in Haney and that resulted in Cats and an excavator excavating the large rearing ponds on the grounds for just the price of fuel. Remember when Sayers lake raised trout for provincial fisheries ?-- he got that going, Offsite rearing of chinook too. Guys like that got things done !!! Tom was cut from the same mold too. I have lots of other stories, but they are best left off the internet !!! LOL.

A chlorinated hot tub is pretty minor compared to what the city does on a regular basis flushing watermains. There is a dechlorination process they are supposed to follow but unfortunately dont.

Back