salmon full of prawns

the runt

Hi guys thought i'd drop a line, talked to some friends of mine i met up with.He gave me a report,Bills very reliable source,on Sat.he caught 2 fish, one was just stuffed with shrimp he said these were all about 2 inches long.theother had a herring he said about 8inches long.The interesting thing he said was he never saw salmon with shrimp in it.this guy fishes a lot, for a lot of years.he uses only a herring holder,never a flasher.he said the bottom was 200ft. he hooked these at 120ft.So these fish were moving about.Anyone else ever visually see prawns in the stomachs of fish.Take care all.

thanks the runt

never have,but they do make tiger prawn pattern hootchies and such.I just thought that was a name for the color pattern.Not that they were actually trying to 'match the hatch'.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

It's all about matching the hatch....

Prawns, no.
Krill, yes.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!

Mr. Dean

Quite often, winter springs will run along the ocean bottom on a sandy or gravelly bar and pick up shrimp or prawns. Look at the gill plates on a winter spring and you will quite often see scrapes from foraging sideways along the bottom.

quote:
Quite often, winter springs will run along the ocean bottom on a sandy or gravelly bar and pick up shrimp or prawns. Look at the gill plates on a winter spring and you will quite often see scrapes from foraging sideways along the bottom.

Yhat makes sense.
I've seen some pretty nasty gill plates. Don't typicaly fish winters though.

Back