Running the Gap at Nitinat

• Thread starter Thread starter Riptide2
  • Start date Start date
R

Riptide2

Anyone have advice on running the Gap at Nitinat. I am planning a trip from Port Renfrew up to Bamfield with a potential stop at Nitinat. I will travelling in a 24 foot bayliner with an inboard outboard so I am just concerned about clearance in and out of the Gap at Nitinat. Also I assume that sandbar shifts position every year.

Thanks,
Rip

Do not go on a hard ebb tide, pick a day with small tide changes. If there is any sort of surf breaking, don't go in there either. Draft should not be a problem in your boat, for your first time, have someone stand on the bow and motion left or right as there is the odd rock that sticks up. Of course, if you are intent on fishing, and go before the last week in August, I'd just keep on going past Nitinat myself.

Do not go on a hard ebb tide, pick a day with small tide changes. If there is any sort of surf breaking, don't go in there either. Draft should not be a problem in your boat, for your first time, have someone stand on the bow and motion left or right as there is the odd rock that sticks up. Of course, if you are intent on fishing, and go before the last week in August, I'd just keep on going past Nitinat myself.

Thanks Last Chance,

I will reserve fishing for Bamfield, but was interested in having a look inside the Gap on the way by.

Just so you know your insurance wont cover you if you sink or wreck going in and out of the lake!Just a heads up!

Don't try it without someone on board who knows the route through the river. Many nasty rocks. If you insist, at least wait until another boat makes the run then follow closely.

I'm not sure if there's been a piece of water that's scared more fishermen than the nitinat Narrows. I've heard a lot of tales that would make your hair stand on end. IronNoggin's got a beauty that I've read on one of these forums. I've never personally had a go at it but I have run the gut from Rainy bay to Fatty basin a few times in a stiff tide change. If you know what's up, it's OK. No Sandbar to contend with though.

Thanks for all the warnings.

While I have tons of experience navigating nasty areas, I will likely pass on the Gap.

Funny though looking at the chart it does not look so bad :D

my brother in-law sank his boat there about 10 years ago
He miss timed the waves and did a tail stand, motor buried and stalled.
they were lucky as other boaters nearby were able to help them.
no lives lost, the motor was pooched...[V]

Here is a map of the entrance to Nitinat, which I assume is deceiving. Depths are in feet

842437891_0d67be2893.jpg

The "Lake" isn't fresh water. Why wouldn't you be covered by insurance?

I can tell you the map looks good but with the waves and how tight it is in there it looks way different up close and live. I have only been in there a couple of times and I wasnt running the boat I went with experienced guides even now doubt I would do it you really got to gun the engine in certain spots as the current can race race through there.

It is and the only place I saw a boat come out of the water and saw a spinning prop and when he landed there was tackle boxes and thermos in the water and other stuff was pretty cool to see but I am sure it hurt.

Good luck Wolf

Have run the mouth five times now.The key to doing it is to keep to the right and depart on the ebb.The standing waves will not push the boat on end as they would on a flood tide.This is not for the inexperienced!!!If you are at all unsure as to how your boat will handle in this situation-DO NOT DO IT!As you may have seen in this forum it has sunk many boats.Better to run out of Renfrew than to tackle that mess.
Better yet,Go to Bamfield.I am a little uncomfortable with the amount of boats that congregate at the mouth when the fishing is hot there.
Hooch

And lest I forget,You will need comprehensive bathymetric charts to run the narrows out if you are launching from the lake.Shallows up to zero if you are off track

Back