Rod reel seat position for center pin reel

MRWood

Does any one have any opinion on how to setup an 11'3" sage rod for use with a center pin reel. The rod has been setup for a baitcaster and has a trigger. I want to change it so I can steelhead fish with a center pin reel and potentially use it for salmon trolling as well.

How much cork is recommended below the reel seat and how much above.
Thx in advance

I have 6" of cork and a 2" aluminum/rubber fighting butt.

The foregrip is about 11.25" of cork.

Mine is tied up with a MB 3113 Sage and run with an Islander Steelheader centre pin. Beautiful rod.

Most shops will charge around 200-300 bones to have it converted to a pin rod, the most expensive part being the cork rings. You can salvage some of the cork for the bottom part of the handle but seeing how the top is going be new you might as well have it all new, other than that the entire lower half of the rod is retied to get the reel seat off and a new one put on lower down the blank. The go to size is approx. 4-5" below the reel and approx. 10-13" above the reel.

Thanks for the info Highlights and Yellow Jacket. I think I'm going to go about 7" below the seat and 11 or 12" above. I would like the option to use it trolling and therefore need a little longer butt for the rod holder.
Apparently a lot of the salt chuck guides use these rods for trolling. Not sure I will but it's nice to have the option.

Which 3113 do you have? The 3113LB is a rod used very much out east for mooching.

quote:Originally posted by MRWood

Thanks for the info Highlights and Yellow Jacket. I think I'm going to go about 7" below the seat and 11 or 12" above. I would like the option to use it trolling and therefore need a little longer butt for the rod holder.
Apparently a lot of the salt chuck guides use these rods for trolling. Not sure I will but it's nice to have the option.
Good call.....MY .02..... leanin to the 12 on the top though

I can't remember which blank it was, it is at the rod repair place now. I think it is a 3113MB but not sure if there is such a thing. It's gonna cost about $75-80 to change over, pretty good deal.

This rod guy has numerous Sage blanks, has a few 11"3" and 12 footers. Is looking to get rid of them as they've been sitting in his shop for a long while.

3113 LB 3113 MB and a couple other original 10-12'ers in plastic sleeves. I forget the numbers. I will take a look and post later

Back