Rivers Inlet Info

• Thread starter Thread starter Riptide2
  • Start date Start date
R

Riptide2

Thinking about making a run to Rivers Inlet from Port Hardy last week of July. Maybe even go as far as Hakai pass. Anyone have recommendations on fishing these areas?

I made the trip the first week of August last year out of Pt Hardy. Ran to Rivers but the fishing was slow, so then went on to Hakai and it was slow too. Finally ran the outside to Bella Bella and fished Milbanke. At that point the first big springs were being caught in Milbanke Sound. Lots of chatter when a 50 lb'r was finally landed. Lots of Coho though. The boat I traveled with stayed at River's, and they got a couple of small Coho and a Chum and fed a lot of herring to the fishies apparently. Glad I went the extra distance. Fishbc.com has as good information as your going to get. Try the link below http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angling/protalk/reid/hotspot/hakai.phtml, and then navigate to River's or even Shearwater.

Any other specific information you need to know just ask.

If anyone is interested, I would'nt mind finding a buddy boat myself for around mid-August for a similar trip.

Thanks for the info sea wolf, hoping that fog won't be too bad at the end of July. I remember being up that way mid August fog was real thick did not see the sun for days.

Just got back from Rivers Inlet, the fishing there is really poor right now. Almost no Springs coming in, lots of pinks and a few Coho. If I make the trip again, it will be in late August. Apparently there were lots of Springs there in June and then it died off in July. I was with the wife who gets bored quickly with fishing so that limited my fishing, and we did not catch one Spring and did not see anyone else pull up a Spring. We did bring up a monster Ling around 45-50 lbs, endless Pinks, and a couple of decent sized Coho.

Crossing Cape Caution in our 24 foot Bayliner was not a problem, you just need to make sure you have a good GPS and Radar, thick fog on the way up, calm seas and clear skys on the way back.

Back