Replacing power pro

abbyfireguy

Well,after 5 years and a few accidental bottom snags,my downrigger line is starting to get a bit on the short side.
Originally used 250 lb power pro and have been very happy with it.
I can get a much better price on 200 lb power pro now. Is that good for the riggers or should I stick with the 250 lb stuff?I use 12 pound balls mostly and 15 lb only if offshore and fishing the bottom for hallie in 180 ft of water..

Scotty's stainless cables are rated 150-180lb and their braided lines come in 175, 200 and 250lb. I am running 200lb and have never snapped the line, even locked up the dr motor trying to retrieve a snag on bull kelp. The thinner line will keep the line drag down as well.

I have been using 200 lb. power pro for 4 years now and find it quite adequate for the job. I fish as deep as 250 ft. and never had a problem.

I just replaced mine with 180lb spectra. Haven't hit the water with it yet but have used 150lb in the past and it worked great. Way less blow-back on the 150-180 vs the 250lb braid.

I like Power Pro better than Scotty braid.......

I use the Power Pro 200, which for me has less blowback than the Scotty 150.....the Power pro 200 is thinner than the Scotty 150.....

I have used Power Pro 150 lb. test for the last 4+ years on one heavily used downrigger. My first ~100 to 150 ft. were looking worn so I reversed the line on the downrigger this last winter (had 300 ft. total). I will likely replace the whole works this coming winter so am pretty pleased with 4 to 5 years from the line.

...Rob

Pulled the Power pro off the riggers today. One had 440 feet on it and one had 317 feet left. I ordered a 1500 foot spool of 200 lb power pro to reload the riggers. Will keep the old stuff for spare in case I have a disaster.

I have 200 lb on now. Used 250 before and 150. Now have 150 in reserve, who knows why. Haven't had any problem with any. Feel most comfortable with 200. I use 15 lb balls.

I have an opposite review than most, I started with 200lb years ago and had two break offs in one year. Granted I run 15lb balls most of the time. Since going with the 250lb, no issues. For the price of cannon balls, I'll stick with the 250lb.

Back