Replacing downrigger line

Klob

Has anybody tried using braided line instead of wire. I know scotty has replacement spools of braided but they are not cheap.I was thinking of using 150 lb. test, and have found some for half the price.

Last time I lost a ball, I lost over $65 in gear not including cable. At least 25 for the pancake, about 10 for the rubber shocker, about 10 for ball-clip hardware, 20 for 2 new release clips that also went down to Davey Jones locker. I dont want to do that again, so I think I will stick with good steel.

One advantage of braided line that might sway me would be that my fishing line might survive a rub on braided line better than against steel cable while working triple headers next year. yup.

On the other hand, I plan on dragging my ball in the sand more often next year, so maybe I will just stick with the steel.

One of my guide friends used the new braided rigger line all season and said he loved it. It is very expensive though. I wonder how it would hold up to knick like you might get on your hali line.

quote:Originally posted by Klob

Has anybody tried using braided line instead of wire. I know scotty has replacement spools of braided but they are not cheap.I was thinking of using 150 lb. test, and have found some for half the price.

I use it and love it. I bought the Scotty Dynema stuff, it is just as thick as the cable. However, the black Scotty sliders don't work too well for shutting down the break, I just tie a swivel inline(Just put the line through the swivel and tie to one hoop, don't just cut the line). It is a lot easier on fishing lines that foul it, but a barb from a barbed hook will cut it (I grabbed one, wrapped it around, and pulled on it, it cut right through). Not a problem of course, because we all use barbless when fishing for salmon.

I like it because, as a rule, this type of line does not go downhill like the wire. Stainless is not very "stainless" at all when it has entrapped water int it, that is why seemingly good line breaks for no apparant reason.

We will see how it goes at the end of this season, but I am excited already. If you were to use 150lb Tuff Line, you will go deeper as it is smother line and a lot finer. Just for the love of God don't wrap it around your hand or something when using it, it will cut it off.

I used one of each this year, I liked the stuff,less likley to kink or fray, quiet, less likey to cut your line if you are playing a fish in close, I think it's 250lb test not 150lb, you can just tie on with a polymir knot.
I,ll be switching over both of my riggers this year, the pros out weight the cons.

Dont forget to hook up your black box!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah forgot there is no voltage reading with that stuff so if you want none dont use it.

Ill stick to what I know catches fish for me tried it once and the stuff made me mad with the slipping of the stoppers and downrigger clips I prefer wire and always will.

Good luck Wolf

Oh here comes another debate!!!!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I like it. I spooled one of my riggers 2 years ago with Power Pro 200lb (much cheaper than the Scotty line) http://www.powerpro.com/purchase/store/categories.asp?PP_CART_CATEGORY_ID=5 I love it and will change over to it on the other 2 riggers once the wire cable needs replacing. I agree that the downrigger clip and and the Scotty sliders don't attach as well as with wire cable but there are ways to solve that. The braided line is tough, doesn't fray and cuts through the water a lot better than wire cable. The blow back when fishing deep is noticably less. Whether it catches more fish I don't know. I do know that I've had good success on that side of the boat. I'm still running my black box on the other side and back. Not sure if that is helping or not, that's another debate.

For some reason my wire line just 'broke' today, even though I clean it with fresh water after each trip etc... Lost my ball and of course the wire broke just above my brand new clip so I lost that too. On my other downrigger I have the braided line and haven't had any problems with breakage EVER. A few months after using the wire line again I loose more gear....

I have found that sometimes the clips slide up a lttle bit but it's no big deal and why not just use the scotty clips that attatch to the downrigger ball fin?

no black box though :(

I also switched one side to braided near the end of the season, and loved it.Wrapped it through the kicker and was able to unwind it all without it breaking or losing gear. I crazy glue my stops on and it works great, no more slippage.

I am thinking of switching to a braided line. I am always fighitng frayed and split lines. I have a fray right now at 110 ft on the wire so reversing the wire is not going to help that much. I dont use black boxes some that is not a problem. no current has to be better then bad current down the wire any way.

I've used the Cannon steel line for 3 seasons and have no frays.It also doesn't seem to kink as much. The diameter is less than the other stuff. The only drawback is finding it.

Great topic!!!! but!!!!
With the smaller diameter line will that change the depth you are fishing at, as the scotty rigger is built with the counter to read the number of wraps a cable makes around the drum per diameter of the cable = depth. could you be fishing deaper than it reads?????
Mono line will be cut faster on this. If any of you guys bait fish on the river you know what happens when mono hits the guy beside you with braided.

Even down a couple of hundred feet (a few hundred trips around the spool) the difference would be less than a few inches if I'm doing my math right....

I just switched mine over to 130# tuff line today...we'll see how it goes.... I saved my wire :)

Used crazy glue to stop the retrieve stops from sliding around on the thinner/slippier line. Hopefully no reactions between spectra and crazy glue....

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Even down a couple of hundred feet (a few hundred trips around the spool) the difference would be less than a few inches if I'm doing my math right....

I just switched mine over to 130# tuff line today...we'll see how it goes.... I saved my wire :)

Used crazy glue to stop the retrieve stops from sliding around on the thinner/slippier line. Hopefully no reactions between spectra and crazy glue....

How much did the line cost and what weight ball are you using?

Has anyone tried using 7 strand commercial wire?
Supposed to be much stonger and not prone to breaking strands.

Oh, and another thought on those of you already using the braid and finding the downrigger clips are sliding. Maybe try using a piece of rubber tubing on the downrigger clip.

I paid $63 for 300 yards which I split between the two downriggers. Used a triple palomer to put the cannonball clips on.

I use 20# wieghts.

I actually clip to the cannon balls to get as close to the bottom as possible so no worries on downrigger clips slipping on the braided. And I'm not brave enough to stack lines in the narrow channels we fish :) I also like this setup as I can set my cannonballs to clear the water on retrieve so I can ignore them and not worry about guests wrapping fish around them.

With 15# balls and cable I needed to put out 230-240' to fish bottom in 180' at my usual trolling speed. Going to be interesting to see what 20# balls with braided take to hit bottom. In my dreams I knock off 25-30' of line which will make turns easier and speed easier to manage...

Sound like that might work well. The only concern would be any line shock as braided is not know to handle that well. 20# balls, did you have to take out a second loan out for those!!!!!!
Were do you spend most of your time fishing?

Back