Renfrew

Merrittboy

Planning to go for my first stay in Renfrew over spring break, how is the fishing at this time (mid-march) and what should I expect? Thanks.

Not much , and if you are after hali you need to go a long ways , and the winds can be ugly that time of the year , have a good GPS andf if there is someone there who is knowledgable of the area see if you can coattail him , DON'T and I repeat DON't go off on your own until you have been there for a few trips and get to know the area.
I haven't been out there yet this year and don't know how the sand bar at the mouth of the river has shifted so I can't give you any advice , except be very careful on tides lower than 2ft as last year at that depth you only had 3 ft of clearance without factoring in the swells.

AL

If you are new to the salt chuck I wouldn't recommend Renfrew at that time of year; like Al said, don't go it alone if you can avoid it. If you are going to travel a bit anyway maybe try someplace like Poett Nook, Bamfield or China Creek. They all have protected waters where you can fish for most species.

Toquart Bay is great good camping water and lots of inside spots to fish Barkley sound is loaded with winters(Main Bay 60-100 feet on the rigger)very safe
"Live to fish another Day"
I dont want to read about another tragedy

Frew in March is not pleasent, It will only get you good pictures of the boat sitting on the trailer. Even your crab traps will get burried in the sand from the silt disturbance of the mighty pacific surge if left overnight.

Ditto, Renfrew is not that great in March. There are some Hali opportunities, but they are a long ways off and you are anchoring for them. The above posts about other spots are probably your best bet, otherwise, anchor for your Hali's off of Victoria. Crabbin however can be excellent if you keep an eye on your traps.

Back