Removing rust stains from fireglass. At last!!!

spring fever

:) I pass this along for those of you who have had the frustration of trying to use various cleaners to get rust stains off the boat. Don't laugh it's called urinal and toilet cleaner and you get it from Janitors wharehouse. No scrubbing just wipes the stain off. Caution -it is very caustic-use rubber gloves and wash the area after with water. It also instantly takes copper sulfate off battery terminals or lugs-make sure you neutralize with water after. Takes rust off anything I have found-heck of a deal-7.50 for a big jug-p.s keep it off the concrete-it eats that as well!!!

I've used another product that is similar. Ultra Bright or something like that, can never remember the name. Just be aware that these chemicals also strip of all wax from the fiberglass. The more you use it the more porous the glass becomes and new stains appear faster. I use it to remove the waterline stain from the hull...works great but unless you polish and re-wax the stain comes back faster than the first time. So it saves work for a great result and then creates more work to keep it that way!!!

I kind of suspected that but the rust stains and waterline stains get to you after awhile and I suspect I will only use it at the end of the year prior to rewaxing.

Vani-sol toilet bowl cleaner also works great. Alot of lodges use it to keep their boats super clean. Using it in places it should never go. It is a acid so be carefull. 23% Hydrochloric Acid.

Barkeeper's Friend also works extremely well -- takes all rust stains off fiberglass and can also be used to clean your stainless steel, plastic etc... Doesn't harm the finish or your hands.

I tried barkeepers friend, vim,clr etc. etc. hence the heavy artillery. A bit of polish sounds like a fair trade-off if you only use it for the bad stuff nothing else touches.

product called on and off, and ya its caustic, it works!! or buy aluminium:rolleyes:

I have used a product called gel-gloss before, (designed for gel coat on fiberglass) works good on most stains, some do require a bit of elbow grease to work them out but it is safe for the gel coat and also for the user. Seems to me that it saw around the same price as a good quality wax). As spring fever suggests, if the "safe stuff" deosn't work then pull out the big gun, but just re-protect the "blasted" area with a good quality polish.

There was the stuff called FSR I think...It was a blue gel.It's cost was out of this world 6-8 years ago. I thought it was crap till someone showed me how to use it. Pour it on thick and let it sit the stain lifts right out. Don't recall what it was made of but slowly but surley it did work.

Just thought I would add a bit more to this.

Cheers,

I agree with the FRS or FSR? I used to use Muriatic Acid (spelling) but was really nasty stuff but it worked. I tried the FRS and was really happy with the results and you don't need glove to apply it. It's only $10 too !

Muriatic Acid works great on removing/cleaning deposits off stainless. ie: zinc calcified deposits from anodes on trim tabs. I use it to clean expensive bar zincs (Yamaha transom) or boats main zinc. Works great at getting into hard to reach or textured surfaces. I can't take the fumes at all and have to hold my breath while using. Obviously I only use it outdoors and clean up well with a plentiful fresh water rinse. Keep the opened container away from anything metal...the escaping fumes will corrode the crap out of it in quick order.

I use FSR (Fibreglass Stain Remover) the blue gel. Just like assassin says if I recall it was expensive, but you dont have to use a lot, leave it sit for 5-10 min and it will lift anything off and doesn't seem to be hard on the deck. I keep Vim on the boat all the time, like a lot of people on the site here, as it does an okay job and is cheap. But whenver I pull my boat out of the water the few stains that the Vim cant get, I hit with the FSR.

I have been on the look out for some good fiberglass cleaner for the past little while and Capital Iron has this green product which I never thought would work but it cleans anything and its green too... no need for gloves. I know you are all thinking that if its green it won't be strong enough for cleaning the boat but wow, was I ever impressed. Go to Capital Iron, buy the stuff, you will be glad you did. its called Krud Cutter and right on the bottle it says.... cleans things other cleaners can't. I'm in the cleaning industry and this stuff works!!! Spray it on... wipe it off !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:) I pass this along for those of you who have had the frustration of trying to use various cleaners to get rust stains off the boat. Don't laugh it's called urinal and toilet cleaner and you get it from Janitors wharehouse. No scrubbing just wipes the stain off. Caution -it is very caustic-use rubber gloves and wash the area after with water. It also instantly takes copper sulfate off battery terminals or lugs-make sure you neutralize with water after. Takes rust off anything I have found-heck of a deal-7.50 for a big jug-p.s keep it off the concrete-it eats that as well!!!
what your usin is diluted muriatic acid wont harm fiberglass just removes oxidation unbelievable on stainless you can buy it in a paint store its bad on galvanised trailer and stains plastic downriggers

Actually I believe it is diluted hydrochloric acid but your comment is accurate about galvanised trailers. That's what it lists as contents on the bottle.

I agree Vanisol is the best!! I've tried most of every other combination. Sold in 1 gal/4lit Jugs, It lasts a long time if used sparingly. Please be careful and follow the directions and wear gloves. It will burn you badly if no care is used. Rinse lots with water when done.

I tried everything but the only thing that really works is the BOWL AND URINAL stuff,just leave it on for a few hours and scub it off,it Really Works wonders!!!!

Back