?rebuilt?

tubber

I have learned a ton about fishing from this forum, now it's time to bone up on the mechanical end of things.
So it's time for stupid questions.
When I see an ad like this, what exactly should I expect "rebuilt" to mean??

"1993 130 yamaha out board completely rebuilt 40 hours on it. "

Thanks in advance.

Only the shop that did the work really knows that one. I'd always look into what was done and go from there. A very subjective statement for sure. One mans TOTAL could mean everything down to the main bearings and resleaving of the cylinders and another might mean just the heads were redone and the bottom end was just checked that clearances were within spec. Caveat emptor.

In a 2 stroke it should be
New pistons, rings, wrist pins, crank bearing's, connecting rod bearing's. Head gaskets, cylinder base gaskets and any other seals and gaskets. Possibly bored out.
Ask about the carbs, thats where most of the grief starts.

Ask to see the shop invoice,it should have everything itemized.If he is selling it as rebuilt,he should be able to provide it.Then there is the ever popular"Dupont"rebuild which is basically a paint job to hide everthing.Reach down at the base of the motor and stick a finger in a tight spot,see if it comes up clean, or is it grimey with dryed paint mixed in the mess.See if the hoses attached to the block come off smoothly,they should if it only has 40 hours on it.Also take the hoses in your hand and twist them so you can see the underside,if its been sprayed to look good they will be different on the bottom.If the motor has been apart most mechanics will clean the block and parts thourgly,reassemble,and paint.Also a compression test should be done and all cylinders should be equal.And the final question is why did he rebuild it?If he says it wore out then there should be new pistons,rings,bearings,etc.If it siezed maybe they jammed a new set of rings on it and did a hone job.An honest guy will have all the info to back him up,if all the info is not there,walk.Trust your gut feelings.DAN

Thanks for the great info guys. That's right Kelly, I got that quote from the Malibu ad. I'm not really looking as much as window shopping. I'll have to get my Parka out and go to the outdoor boat shop in Kelowna tomorrow. Mostly ski boats, but a few Hewescrafts and Whalers, and another Aluminum job with twin Zukes that I'd like to get a closer look at just so I can feel like my boat is less adequate than ever.

Back